Strange Electrical Gremlin With Left Front Turn Signal / Clearance Marker

RangerTJ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
2000 Wrangler 4.0 Sport.

I had the hyperflashing happen on my right side of the Jeep and found a burned out bulb and a corroded connector in the front turn signal.

Cleaned the connector and put everything back together and all turn signals are working fine now.

My issue is that now the left front turn signal and clearance lamp come on when I press the brake pedal. Honestly it may have been doing it before but I didn't notice it due to focusing on the hyperflashing.

I went through all the plugs and connectors on both sides, removed the taillights and cleaned their grounds with no change.

Everything appears to be working normally except for the lights coming on with the brake lights.

I'm not sure where to go next as I've already cleaned the connectors and grounds.

Anyone ever experienced this? Thanks.

If your front lights are being powered from brake pedal input, it would most likely be an issue in the multifunction switch.

Unfortunately Jeep did a pretty bad job laying out the wiring for the multifunction switch as it is split across multiple sections based on function.

Screenshot_20221231_134232_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20221231_134310_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20221231_134427_Drive.jpg

Reactions: RangerTJ
Reactions: Zorba
I don't think it's feedback as the lights are just as bright as they are when the turn signal is activated.

I'm going to have to dig into it more fully hopefully on Monday.

Hey! A New Year's Resolution that I may actually keep!

Just remember, there are no electrical "Gremlins".

There can only be 3 things wrong. It's open, shorted, or has high resistant.

Once you make up your mind you only have to find those problems it gets easier to diagnose than looking for something mysterious and mythical.

Once you make up your mind you only have to find those problems it gets easier to diagnose than looking for something mysterious and mythical.

Don’t forget the golden rule of electrical work. “ Don’t let the smoke out of the wires”🤣

Having owned several Jeeps and other Chrysler products, I don't know if just logic can convince me that some of them aren't possessed...

Well I think I'm going to replace the multifunction switch after an accidental discovery this morning.

Behind a car in the drive thru with my lights turned on and brake applied and I notice that the left front marker is at regular brightness and not on high brightness. Also notice that the left indicator in the dash is not illuminating when it was earlier (illuminates when brake pressed)

Turn on left turn signal. Blinks normally. Turn it back off and now get the left turn indicator in the dash and the left marker gets bright when I step on the brake.

Turn on right signal. Indicator in the dash goes out and now the left marker no longer gets brighter when I step on the brake.

Hmmm. Turn on left signal again. Now marker gets bright with brake pedal and dash indicator illuminated. Turn on right signal. Symptoms disappear.

Turn on left signal and they're back. Right signal they're gone. I had used right signal to pull into the drive thru so the symptoms were gone.

Multifunction switch inbound.

Well I think I'm going to replace the multifunction switch after an accidental discovery this morning.

Behind a car in the drive thru with my lights turned on and brake applied and I notice that the left front marker is at regular brightness and not on high brightness. Also notice that the left indicator in the dash is not illuminating when it was earlier (illuminates when brake pressed)

Turn on left turn signal. Blinks normally. Turn it back off and now get the left turn indicator in the dash and the left marker gets bright when I step on the brake.

Turn on right signal. Indicator in the dash goes out and now the left marker no longer gets brighter when I step on the brake.

Hmmm. Turn on left signal again. Now marker gets bright with brake pedal and dash indicator illuminated. Turn on right signal. Symptoms disappear.

Turn on left signal and they're back. Right signal they're gone. I had used right signal to pull into the drive thru so the symptoms were gone.

Multifunction switch inbound.

With a lot of turn signal switched you can rapidly actuate the turn signal handle and the hazard switch to clean the contacts inside the switch.