Strange Oil Pressure Gauge Behavior

John Scoggins

TJ Enthusiast
My 04 TJ 4.0 Auto showed 0PSI on the oil pressure gauge at idle, check and the engine is fine, it is electrical. I posted about this in a previous post as far as the details of what I found and how I "fixed" the gauge (cleaned connectors on instrument cluster) but there is one thing left that is puzzling.

When the jeep is running, oil pressure gauge in the middle (I know it is really a switch) if I unplug the connector from the oil pressure sending unit the gauge stay in the center. If I turn off the jeep and restart it with the sending unit still unplugged the gauge still goes back to the center.
If I run the instrument cluster self test, then start the jeep (with the sending unit still unplugged) the gauge will then show 0psi, if I plug in the connector while the jeep is running, the gauge still shows 0 psi.

If there a delay in the oil pressure gauge response to the sending unit (VIA the PCM)? I am still showing the b0, b8 and open panel error after cleaning the connectors but I do not know how to clear those.

LINK to previous post:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/oil-pressure-gauge-sending-unit-gauge-cluster-question.19871/