Stretch or sell?

dedoom

Supporting Member
Hello all, wanted to get some feedback on this topic.

I want a longer wheelbase. Options are:
A. Stretch.
B. Sell and buy a JL rubicon with the recon package.

Love my TJ, everything has been replaced and done up. Super reliable but I want a bigger vehicle.
Love the JLs as well, and I really am looking for an excuse to get one.

I just can’t get over the feeling of being in a TJ.

Why don’t you get an LJ?
I simply don’t wan’t to go through the same process of changing everything to calm down my paranoia of having something break. I have literally changed EVERYTHING except for the actual motor and exhaust. Almost everything is new on my TJ.

Money is not an issue. If you chose A, what shop/kit would you recommend in socal? I was thinking of the genright kit.

Genright offroad will do there Tj to Jl conversion for you they just started offering. And are located in SoCal

Reactions: L J
If money is no issue and you want a turnkey solution, call Genright and see if they'll do their TJ to LJ conversion for you.

What's behind the "I want a longer wheelbase"? Is it simply a want? Or, is there a genuine need? Answering those questions will help others give you advice/perspectives.

FWIW, here is an interesting thread on the Genright TJ to LJ conversion. Suffice it to say, all isn't what you'd expect it to be with Genright products. Plus, there are some nuggets in here about who can help you, should you decide to stretch your TJ.

It's all interesting, but gets very informative starting from post #40 on!

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/genright-tj-to-lj-conversion.56478/

I've been daily driving my 99 tj for the past 12 years. Bought a 2018 jlu for me and the wife to drive on trips. I love driving it. But it always felt great to get back in my tj! Decided to order another jl 2 door for more reliabitity because I work in a terrible neihberhood. Took delivery in November. Since the first of the year it's sat in the driveway and I'm back to my tj. Just didn't feel the same. Unless you can afford to keep the tj and also buy a jl don't do it. You will have regrets! Just my experiance but I would be willing to bet alot of others who made the leap would agree. Good luck!

Reactions: Irun
Hello all, wanted to get some feedback on this topic.

I want a longer wheelbase. Options are:
A. Stretch.
B. Sell and buy a JL rubicon with the recon package.

Love my TJ, everything has been replaced and done up. Super reliable but I want a bigger vehicle.
Love the JLs as well, and I really am looking for an excuse to get one.

I just can’t get over the feeling of being in a TJ.

Why don’t you get an LJ?
I simply don’t wan’t to go through the same process of changing everything to calm down my paranoia of having something break. I have literally changed EVERYTHING except for the actual motor and exhaust. Almost everything is new on my TJ.

Money is not an issue. If you chose A, what shop/kit would you recommend in socal? I was thinking of the genright kit.
A stretched Tj on 37s and rockjock 60's.... Ya that'll do. That'll do. Is the stretch for looks, for trails, for high speeds? IF its to feel good goin 70 on the grapevine a stretched Tj is probably not gonna do that for you without engine swap. A turnkey JL will get you there a lot quicker but then you got to start over on the trail mods unless this is a street vehicle.