Stretch vs TJ-6

The4bangertj

just because you can does not mean you should
Supporting Member
Very new to this forum but I've been reading it for a long time now. I currently have a 97 4cyl tj on 33s and tummy tucked. My plan is to engine swap and go to 37s with coilovers. Something fun to build but also drive anywhere without a trailer. My question is for a guy who isnt trying to make the world best jeep is a stretched jeep at 102 in wheel base really that much more stable than stock? Is it worth it to tj6? I dont mind the labor as I'll do it all but I dont want to build one way and redo it. My initial thought was to build my tj with a savvy mid arm at stock wheel base then tj6 when I want to move up to 37s, axles, and coilovers so I wouldnt have to redesign the suspension twice but rather just stretch the frame for the wheelbase. I could be completely wrong with this idea but I was curious. Any personal experience to the theory of a build or if I'm missing something would be appreciated.

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice but I am interested in what others have to say on this. I'll go ahead and tag @NashvilleTJ . He's the first one who comes to mind.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Engine swap, axles, and TJ6. You aren't afraid of work or cost. The TJ6 takes a lot of body work and sheet metal.

My son is getting ready to stretch his TJ with tons and 40's. I have a TJ6 on tons and 40's (109 WB). Mine is very stable but until his is complete I won't know how his will feel. Full width for both BTW.

MrBlaine did a recent TJ6 and probably would probably have some good insight for you.

Last edited:
Very new to this forum but I've been reading it for a long time now. I currently have a 97 4cyl tj on 33s and tummy tucked. My plan is to engine swap and go to 37s with coilovers. Something fun to build but also drive anywhere without a trailer. My question is for a guy who isnt trying to make the world best jeep is a stretched jeep at 102 in wheel base really that much more stable than stock? Is it worth it to tj6? I dont mind the labor as I'll do it all but I dont want to build one way and redo it. My initial thought was to build my tj with a savvy mid arm at stock wheel base then tj6 when I want to move up to 37s, axles, and coilovers so I wouldnt have to redesign the suspension twice but rather just stretch the frame for the wheelbase. I could be completely wrong with this idea but I was curious. Any personal experience to the theory of a build or if I'm missing something would be appreciated.
A TJ-6 puts you at 108" of wheelbase if you don't move the front from stock which you would to get some tire clearance behind the 37's. 108 is good for some stuff on 37's, it is a hindrance on other things. If you seriously rock crawl in places live JV, that's a bit much for 37's with a commensurate belly height. The other side is 102 isn't enough for 37's.

Not many would swap a 300 HP stock aluminum block inline 6 into a rig that already has an inline 6.
This just got even more interesting! Any details on this forthcoming?

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice but I am interested in what others have to say on this. I'll go ahead and tag @NashvilleTJ . He's the first one who comes to mind.
Well, not exactly apples to apples, as my rig started out as an LJ. But the stretch I did resulted in something closer to what you get with a TJ6 stretch - the rear axle is back much farther than a stock LJ. I am running coilovers and a V8, so that part is similar.

Happy to add any perspective, OP, but you've already got the attention of the master.

Reactions: SvtLdr
How big of a gas tank would you get with a stretch on stock? You said you plan to drive it without a trailer.
I'd prefer to keep it under the jeep with a genright comp tank. But could just fit the back seat if I had to. Seems like tj6 is the better option for space inside and the wheelbase since I dont want to comp cut my jeep or relocate my steering box. So that being said @mrblaine would my idea of using the mid arm at stock wheel base then tj6 work? I figured I'd have to get new rear frame side brackets when I do but how bad would the instant center and other suspension number change with the wheelbase stretch?

@Nashville_Tj and @Rec_Rider is there really any big problems with a longer jeep since both of you are in the same relative wheelbase and break over angles? Did you guys like the idea of a belly skid with link mounts to slide better when hung up or go with shorter arms to tuck the belly all the way flat?

I didn't do a body lift since my height wouldn't have fit in my garage so no tummy tuck. I use large joints that hang down below the frame and the rear is a long. So, I hang up a lot on both the rear arms and the mounts. 1/4" mounts look like they've been through a meat grinder after a visit to JV. I should have put skids on them. I may redesign down the road if I get too frustrated.

Here's a pic in the middle the process that shows the rear arms and mounts.

20180606_193510.jpg

Reactions: SvtLdr
I'd prefer to keep it under the jeep with a genright comp tank.
I'm very much looking forward to both pics of that and the wheelbase. This is 104 in a TJ.
DSC_4748.JPG

DSC_4689.JPG

I spent more than a few minutes looking at the space the axle tubes and diff center would move into and my brain could not visualize a good way to get a tank back there other than bolting it to the outside of the tail gate.

But could just fit the back seat if I had to. Seems like tj6 is the better option for space inside and the wheelbase since I dont want to comp cut my jeep or relocate my steering box. So that being said @mrblaine would my idea of using the mid arm at stock wheel base then tj6 work? I figured I'd have to get new rear frame side brackets when I do but how bad would the instant center and other suspension number change with the wheelbase stretch?
The issue with a TJ and the mid arm is you would cut right at the bend in the frame to slide it all back. Not as much fun as it could be.

Not sure why you are moving the steering gear?

I'm very much looking forward to both pics of that and the wheelbase. This is 104 in a TJ.
View attachment 270465
View attachment 270466
I spent more than a few minutes looking at the space the axle tubes and diff center would move into and my brain could not visualize a good way to get a tank back there other than bolting it to the outside of the tail gate.

The issue with a TJ and the mid arm is you would cut right at the bend in the frame to slide it all back. Not as much fun as it could be.

Not sure why you are moving the steering gear?
I've always thought I could stretch the front 2 in or so without relocating the box and then the rear 6 in but that's also from my knowledge pulling every little space needed. That tj with 104 in wb looks amazing but I'd loose the back seat or have to go with a really small fuel cell. So basically tj6 if I want to keep the seat and have wheel base. So is there any real way to build the jeep before the tj6 suspension without redoing it?

Don’t have anything useful to add, but am just dropping in incase Blaine drops any pictures of his TJ-6.
Front and rear bumpers along with the rims I modified are on the way back from powder coat early next week. I bought a set of Level 8 Hauler and had to open up the center bore to fit over the big hub kit.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Front and rear bumpers along with the rims I modified are on the way back from powder coat early next week. I bought a set of Level 8 Hauler and had to open up the center bore to fit over the big hub kit.
Sure would be nice to see a build ;)

I've always thought I could stretch the front 2 in or so without relocating the box
You can do that easily by virtue of moving the axle to center under the springs. Then you are only limited by the pitman swinging by the trackbar.
and then the rear 6 in but that's also from my knowledge pulling every little space needed. That tj with 104 in wb looks amazing but I'd loose the back seat or have to go with a really small fuel cell.
8 + the current 92-93 is 101. That's good for 35's most places, not 37's in our world.
So basically tj6 if I want to keep the seat and have wheel base. So is there any real way to build the jeep before the tj6 suspension without redoing it?
Sell it and buy a TJ Unlimited.

Excited to see it. You went with a 35x11.50
Right?