Stripped T-45 roll bar Torx

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
Torx splines stripped , what's the best trick to get these out - heat, vise grips, drill , prayer ?

Rust free vehicle .

New to get this out , and not have it happen on the next one .

Putting on a tire carrier .

Thanks , asking for a friend (if he's still still my friend after I stripped this out!)

Andy

• Haha
Reactions: Hog
Begin with easiest methods first. Kroil overnight. Small sharp chisel the width of the bolt head. Once you get a nice deep slot, angle the chisel at about a 45 degree angle and begin tapping counterclockwise while alternating from side to side of the head.

Reactions: AndyG
Torx splines stripped , what's the best trick to get these out - heat, vise grips, drill , prayer ?

Rust free vehicle .

New to get this out , and not have it happen on the next one .

Putting on a tire carrier .

Thanks , asking for a friend (if he's still still my friend after I stripped this out!)

Andy

What tools do we have at our disposal?

First, I'd probably grab a few metric and standard allen sockets and some XYN bits and see if I could pound one of those in to get enough purchase to get the thing out. If not, I'd use a left hand drill going larger until the head pops off, then go back to the smaller drill and with the tension released...see if the drill will spin it out...if not, drill it all the way to the tap drill size for that thread and run a tap through it.

If you have a welder, you could weld a nut to it, or weld the damn torx driver to it

You could also cut a slot and try a large screwdriver with a wrench on the shank or a channelock on the handle, or a dull chisel in the groove to impact it out.

Were you using the right sized torx bit when it stripped, or was it a sloppy fit? If it was the right one and the bolt head wasn't already buggered, then it's probably either thread locked or rusted in place, so typical extraction methods will likely just strip the head out further or break the bits. Meaning, you'll want to get heat on it regardless, in addition to penetrating oil. For blue thread lock, something as simple as a heat gun might suffice, and do less damage to surrounding stuff.

Try heat first to break any thread locker. If the head is stripped then might have to weld a nut to the head

Reactions: thestuntboy
I've had fair luck going with a regular hex bit. Heat, croil, then hammer the hex bit in and turn softly with a good rap of the hammer between each try to rotate. If not then weld a nut thru the middle. The welder heat can get it to turn easier. Good luck.

Reactions: thestuntboy
If you can get a replacement bolt, try one of these on it with a ratchet or breaker bar. I’ve had success with stuck/stripped bolts many times with these over the years. These are called Crastman Bolt Out. Several other companies make a version too.

D48026C7-0C2D-4D50-B7B6-ADE945AFCDE3.jpeg

Reactions: Hog