Stronger Dana 44 differential cover?

Goatman

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Didn't want to hijack the Dana 30 thread. What do you guys recommend for the (mostly front) Dana 44 cover? Do the Dodge 1/2 ton trucks get a better, swappable cover? Must be better options than those thick expensive cast billboards they sell.

Reactions: D M
There are a bunch of formed and welded 3/8” plate diffs but they are usually pricier, Aluminum covers too.

Only diff covers I'd put on it are a Currie or Barnett (same thing).

Most if not all of the same options are available for the Dana 44 as for the Dana 30.

The Barnett/Currie cover is available for the Dana 44.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/js-hd44
_js-hd44-ramped-hd-diff-cover-for-dana-44-housings.jpg

So is the Warn/Rugged Ridge style.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92023_100.htm
67211.jpg

And my favorite (although not as popular with the TJ crowd as the CJ crowd):

http://www.fourxdoctor.com/catalog/diffguard/diffguards.html
diffguard_blue2.jpg

You don't see as many "hockey mask" or "Hannibal Lecter" diff guards these days as in years past. Perhaps due to the current popularity of cast nodular iron covers. I like the hockey mask guards because they work in conjunction with the stock cover so no issues with fitment or where the fill hole is located.

My current jeep came from the previous owner with Solid diff covers. The front cover doesn't interfere with my Currie Correctlync steering so I have no reason to change it. If I did I would most likely use a stock cover and one of Mike Duncan's (4xDoctor) hockey mask diff guards as I did on my CJ-7. I know the Barnett/Currie cover is bulletproof, but its expensive and fugly to boot.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I have Ruff Stuff plate covers on my front 30 and rear 44. They were installed by the PO but they look cool and I haven’t had any problems with them yet. Dropped the rear on a rock one day and it held up just fine.

I no longer run the cattle-guard style cover on my front axle after mine broke after a not-so major impact. It's real hard to beat the Currie/Barnett diff cover which is available for Dana 30 and Dana 44 axles.

I no longer run the cattle-guard style cover on my front axle after mine broke after a not-so major impact. It's real hard to beat the Currie/Barnett diff cover which is available for Dana 30 and Dana 44 axles.
I know some people arnt a huge fan of metalcloak, but I have them on my rig. It is cast iron so if you hit it hard enough it could crack? But its damn stout and thick must be driving through a boulder haha. I still have enough room between that and my currie currectlync steering. Just options. If anyone has a reason why they dont like it please let me know, I'm all about learning new things haha.

Reactions: Alex01
I went with Barnett in the Dana 30. Great TB clearance and protection where its need it but, on my case they get scratched a little.
The front its difficult do the TB clearance, if the axle make contact and slide is not bad, if the TB get stock and sudden release seem like the diff blew on pieces.
I will suggest not to go with the cast ones on the front.

** the scratches happen hitting a rock like a 5 times trying to climb a muddy hill like @3 mph.

1567903676697.png

1567903702108.png

1567903756387.png

I know some people arnt a huge fan of metalcloak, but I have them on my rig. It is cast iron so if you hit it hard enough it could crack? But its damn stout and thick must be driving through a boulder haha. I still have enough room between that and my currie currectlync steering. Just options. If anyone has a reason why they dont like it please let me know, I'm all about learning new things haha.
They are made of nodular cast iron, also called ductile iron. It has a very high impact and wear resistance. As long as they clear your steering there is no reason to change them.

Reactions: Alex01
Thanks guys! And I assume the front and rear are the same, right? I actually kinda dig the hockey mask look. I'm mostly in wooded areas with some downed trees and few rocks so that should be a great solution for me. Will also let any mud come out unlike the Rugged Ridge style.

Thanks guys! And I assume the front and rear are the same, right? I actually kinda dig the hockey mask look. I'm mostly in wooded areas with some downed trees and few rocks so that should be a great solution for me. Will also let any mud come out unlike the Rugged Ridge style.
You could paint it to look like a Buffalo Bills Helmet, the Dana 30 and Dana 44 covers are different, BTW

Didn't want to hijack the Dana 30 thread. What do you guys recommend for the (mostly front) Dana 44 cover? Do the Dodge 1/2 ton trucks get a better, swappable cover? Must be better options than those thick expensive cast billboards they sell.
The biggest issue with stronger aftermarket covers on the TJ and even JK Dana 44 is that they create interference with the trackbar during articulation.

Ballistic fab builds a solution specificially for Rubicon TJ’s/LJ’s
BD1C24DB-AA65-46A1-BE8C-DFC3A7B85DD3.jpeg
CB7B7F7A-95F1-411F-B13A-01310A69EA79.jpeg

A bit pricey for most people here.
https://www.ballisticfabrication.com/products/jeep-rubicon-dana-44-differential-cover

Where are you finding the diff cover shown in the illustration that fits a TJ/LJ Dana 44? The illustration specifically references the JK Dana 44 and the link is to a JK diff cover.
If you read the description of the part, it explains that it fits both the JK and TJ. I guess the question I would ask is will a TJ Dana 44 cover fit on a JK Dana 44?

That BF part number is the same as it was when it was built for the TJ/LJ Rubicon back in 2003.

I am guessing you are asking based on the 8.5 inch TJ Rubicon Dana 44 ring gear vs the JK 8.9 inch ring gear..?

Edit: I will find out for sure. Maybe I can get a more clear/high res measurement drawing added to the website.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Bills
Actually, I am asking because the product linked indicates that it fits the "JK" Dana 44, however when one searches the Ballistic Fab website by vehicle and enters "Wrangler Rubicon" there are two results, the part described as "Jeep JK Rubicon Dana 44 Differential Cover" (P/N DIF-2003-3) and another entirely different Dana 44 diff cover described simply as "Dana 44 Differential Cover" (P/N DIF-2003-2) pictured below.

https://www.ballisticfabrication.com/products/dana-44-differential-cover-welded
Dana_44_large.jpg

There is a use note for P/N DIF-2003-2 that reads:

"Differential covers are larger than the stock cover so please be sure to measure for clearance prior to ordering. For Jeep Rubicon TJ/LJ and JK applications, use DIF-2003-3 to clear trac bar and steering."

While this clarifies things a bit, your follow up with the manufacturer to confirm fitment with the TJ/LJ Rubicon Dana 44 would be helpful for anyone considering this option.