Stubborn Black Streaks on Soft Top

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone else ever had this problem? They seem to be rain tracks, but they leave behind a black stain. Very stubborn, and I can’t get them out with soft top cleaner. I’ve resorted to using Dawn (I know that’s not usually a good idea on a soft top), but then they were back very soon.

This is a Bestop. Can’t remember the material name, but it’s the middle-quality one. Feels more like plastic than like denim. Not “twill” but the material right below that.

4F7ED83A-F65E-41EF-9F50-B4459B6809B9.jpeg

0C86EE7D-2F07-4954-A988-F347F7B212AC.jpeg

Try spraying them with Simple Green. After letting it work for a while scrub with a soft nylon bristle brush and rinse thoroughly. Then see how it did.
Simple Green is one of the safest and most effective cleaners sold- that and a brush is the answer- what you see is road grime dripping down from dew, etc.

Park it in the shade, apply the simple green, let it sit 15 minutes- even a soft bristle car wash brush is a good option. You may want to back off the 303 as it is a film product and see how it does, as it may be mixing with the grime. It is a great product but may be part of the problem- I had that top and It was easy to clean with no 303 used.

Wait ‘til you tackle brown streaks in underwear. Now that is a job.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I have those same streaks, but they're near impossible to see on my black soft top. I'm sure they're there though.

Reactions: AndyG
Simple Green is one of the safest and most effective cleaners sold- that and a brush is the answer- what you see is road grime dripping down from dew, etc.

Park it in the shade, apply the simple green, let it sit 15 minutes- even a soft bristle car wash brush is a good option. You may want to back off the 303 as it is a film product and see how it does, as it may be mixing with the grime. It is a great product but may be part of the problem- I had that top and It was easy to clean with no 303 used.

Wait ‘til you tackle brown streaks in underwear. Now that is a job.

Good Luck.

Ok nice, will do.

Ok for the simple green to get on the windows or should I try to avoid that?

Ok nice, will do.

Ok for the simple green to get on the windows or should I try to avoid that?
Wont hurt them, as a rule don’t let anything dry on them, gently wipe only horizontally with a clean, soft cloth (microfiber towels are great) and always try to have them grit free first when you wash them-

You might try 303 on one side and none on the other on the fabric as a test.

The windows can always be polished with Plast -X. How nice they stay depends on how you clean them and maybe more so how you handle and store them.

Reactions: SSTJ
Black streaks are a common problem on the sides of RVs. I've used LA Awesome with great success on them. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work on a soft top as well. You can get it several places, even Amazon, but I found it cheapest at the Dollar Store.

Simple green has never harmed/affected anything I've used it on, it's the best cleaner I've ever come across. Not to mention it has a great pine aroma.
The purple cleaners have sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) and many other degreasers are butyl based, a waterborne solvent- they can etch metals and glass, craze plastics and do more harm than good. Simple Green is all I use on my KTM dirt bike, and believe me, they aren’t giving those away- even after years the cleaner has no bad effects at all.

CFE393F1-8A65-431B-89CD-B65495192B6F.jpeg

Last edited:
They make an aircraft grade simple green which is way less corrosive on aluminum, thats what I use on my expensive dirt bikes lol and would suggest it for cleaning the fabric tops as well. Purple Power is an extremely corrosive cleaner with a very base PH I don’t know what you would want to use that on other than a bare engine block.

Last edited: