Stuck wheel bearing

Yeah that's hard to answer. Never had one be that bad to remove. With power steering working your most likely thing to get hurt I would think would be a tie rod end or tie rod. But the force is all lateral. It would be putting some strong forces on your pitman arm and sector shaft I guess.

Any chance you're better off just changing the knuckle and bearing together? Hate to throw extra parts at it but if it hasn't come loose yet...
Was able to get it, torched the crap out of the knuckle, and just gave her shit surprised that was the thing to pop loose lol. Time for the driver side!

Reactions: machoheadgames
I've had success by loosening the bolts but leaving plenty of threads still in the bearing, and then putting a sacrificial 13mm socket on the bolt head and then bashing it with a sledgehammer. It's not a quick process, you hit on one side for a while, then turn the wheels and hit it on the other side and eventually you get a little daylight and next thing you know it's out. Never tried the power steering trick, so I don't know if it works better or not.

wow. I beat the hell out of some one time before I knew about the bolt against the yoke ear trick, but if that didn't work for you, you may have had the most stuck unit bearings in TJ history.

Reactions: CharlesHS
Just an FYI for anyone interested. I like PB and Liquidwrench as much as anything, but if you want something that will penetrate better, mix acetone and ATF 50-50.

Reactions: CharlesHS
Just an FYI for anyone interested. I like PB and Liquidwrench as much as anything, but if you want something that will penetrate better, mix acetone and ATF 50-50.

I've been using that mix since about 2019 and have no reason to try anything else. The only time I've had to cut a fastener since then was when i was removing the trailer hitch on my LJ and my Acetone/ATF spray bottle was empty.

Reactions: BlueC
I've been using that mix since about 2019 and have no reason to try anything else. The only time I've had to cut a fastener since then was when i was removing the trailer hitch on my LJ and my Acetone/ATF spray bottle was empty.
When I run out of Mouse Milk or Kroil; I mix up some of the Acetone/ATF.
I learned about that mixture from a retired Navy Machinists Mate almost 40 years ago....

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That 50:60 mix of acetone and ATF is the only thing that's better than Kroil or Liquid wrench but so far, my Liquid Wrench has always worked for many (many) years.

Reactions: BlueC