Studded snow tires - thinking about these......

RedrumRH

WNC Asheville Area
Supporting Member
Hello everyone. I am getting some dedicated rims for snow tires. Found a set of 15" Jeep wheels on CL. $150 for a set. Identical to my existing factory 15" TJ wheels, Currently running Yoko geolander 31x10.5x15 and I want another set so I can swap in the worst winter months. I am looking at some Firestones Winterforce 2 UV - P235/75/15 XL-Loadrange, as a second seasonal dedicated nasty weather snow tire. They will come with studs installed, and they are legal in NC. I am on gravel roads about 50% of the time, and state maintained typical paved 2 land country roads the rest of the time. Nine months of the year I will run the TJ with windows out, top down when not raining, and it drives well on the hghway.

TJ is all factory mechanically, 4.0 manual, running 31", so no lift or other stuff to contend with with a tire choice.

I have read the forum posts about studs vs no studs. Going with studs, for about 2-3 months of the year, likely won't put more then 1,500 miles a winter on them. Keep in mind the TJ will sit in the garage, as usual, until I need it to go up and down the mountain road when there is snow on the ground. I have multiple vehicles, I like variety. I'll be driving my Touareg, aka "The Beast", as the daily driver anyways in the winter. SO the TJ in the winter is going to be my ....have to get somewhere in ice and snow...... Potentially rescuing stuck drivers in the neighborhood, not messing with their stuck ride, just a ride back to their house. I did enjoying the TJ back in February even with the soft top, the heater cranks.

SO after that long ass winded explanation, are these firestones going to be the right size etc? Anyone ever run these in winter? All my research, and my specific use, points to these.

Know your area, family in Fruitland, BatCave, Tuxedo areas. I like the thought, not sure about the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 235/75R15 will be a little small if you are used to 31X10.5. They are basically a stock size diameter of around 29". Also pretty narrow (which can be good on snow).

If set on the winterforce, the 265/75R15 would be a better alignment to the 31x10.5 size.

That being said...duratracs are studdable tires as well ya know..