Stuff (not) worth buying at Harbor Freight?

You need at least 25 more LED flashlights in your life.

Reactions: pagrey
  • Haha
Reactions: L J
Anything that should be made from hardened steel (it won’t be)
I've had mixed luck with their stuff, I wish it was so easy. Their allen wrenches are crap but their torx sets work great. Their smooth open end wrenches made in India are bullet proof but their twist drills are crap. The old 3500 watt generator is a huge piece of crap and the new one is one of the best bargains out there. They are the just about the worst case of hit and miss you can imagine, you have to research every single item you buy there.

Pick up an extendable 1/2” ratchet
I was going to suggest a few tools but I think he really really likes snap-on.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Was a little more expensive than base but the hercules brand still has been the best drill I've owned. Bought a needle scaler for rusty and has been awesome.
Only regret was my 3 gal compressor which broke 6 mo in.

The composite 3/8" (62318) is my favorite ratchet hands down and I've tried allot but I'd never recommend it on this thread, and ya, great trail tools.
I have that one, I always forget I have it but it was highly recommended on another forum.

I seem to get a lot of use out of the furniture dollies. Nice for stacking heavy stuff on that you need to move around. Their floor Jack's work as well as anything else I've used. I'm using the snot out of a parts washer cabinet.

Reactions: Squatch and pagrey
I will never buy HF drill bits again. 11 stitches in my hand from a broken drill bit breaking and making a mess.
Other things i would never go HF:
-cordless lineups
-any of that "icon" marketing junk
-bit sockets (allens, torx, ball end allens)

And thats about it. Love their normal sockets and impact sockets, (though they skip sizes, so i make a complete set with other brands), i get by with their impact swivels. Love their deadblows and prybars, punches and chisels, specialty stuff. (Pitman arm puller, bolt style puller, pilot bearing puller, etc.).

The needle scaler is an excellent choice (also, pick up an extra set of replacement needles, as well). If you don't already have one, I'd recommend the 20-ton hydraulic press. I've used the fool out of mine, and it has done everything I've required of it. Fairly inexpensive, too.

The needle scaler is an excellent choice (also, pick up an extra set of replacement needles, as well). If you don't already have one, I'd recommend the 20-ton hydraulic press. I've used the fool out of mine, and it has done everything I've required of it. Fairly inexpensive, too.
Added HF casters to mine so I can roll it around

Reactions: Squatch
I’d rather accidentally leave a HF ratchet somewhere than a snap on. HF is great trail tools.

I once left a $300 set of Mac pinless impact swivel sockets at the Eglin AFB hobby shop. They never showed back up. Since that day my expensive tools have never left my garage.

Don’t buy those gloves that come in the 50 or 100 pack, I’ve used them once and then throw them away.
There are different thicknesses of 'em. I bought the thicker ones, and found them to actually hold up better than expected. But yeah, the thinner ones are junk. A damn fingernail will tear through 'em.

Most of the time I end up finding higher quality stuff for slightly more elsewhere. Most of the time husky/dewalt/kobalt/craftsman stuff is similar in price and a lot better.

I will not tolerate cheap saw blades, drill bits, etc.
Nothing hardened metal.
Electrical stuff works pretty good, IDK what everyone has against it.
No consumables/dremal bits.

HF was out of just about everything on my shopping list. It seems that they're not getting in stuff from China.

The nearest gantry was 7 hours away so I opted for a normal engine hoist instead.

Thankfully everything else I wanted was in stock online and so I just placed an order for $7 flat rate shipping. Including new jack stands.

HF was out of just about everything on my shopping list. It seems that they're not getting in stuff from China.

The nearest gantry was 7 hours away so I opted for a normal engine hoist instead.

Thankfully everything else I wanted was in stock online and so I just placed an order for $7 flat rate shipping. Including new jack stands.

My local one is low on a lot too, maybe they’re fulfilling online orders before filling the stores.