Stuttering wiper arms

TJK

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I recently replaced my old wiper blades with new bosch blades and now the arms stutter through their motion. Is there something I can adjust to make the motion smoother?

Maybe pull the cowl and spray all the pivots on the linkage down with your favorite lubricant of choice?

I assume the windshield is wet?

-Mac

Maybe pull the cowl and spray all the pivots on the linkage down with your favorite lubricant of choice?

I assume the windshield is wet?

-Mac

Hah! It’s wet. Hmm maybe I’ll try to lubricate as you say. I’m hoping it’s not a failing wiper motor…just seems a bit weak…

Stuttering as in dragging / hopping across the windshielld? Had that happen with old, drying blades, even with lubricant aka water sprayed on the windshield.

YouTube wiper blade noises. You can actually twist the arm so the blade sits 90° to the windshield and the skipping will cease. It worked on mine. This one is a bit long winded but you’ll get the idea.

Coat your window down with WD-40, it's good on just about everything.

I had a friend in high school whose brother got mad at him and dumped a qt of motor oil on his windshield. I can't remember his wipers ever skipping after that. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Tray Burge
YouTube wiper blade noises. You can actually twist the arm so the blade sits 90° to the windshield and the skipping will cease. It worked on mine. This one is a bit long winded but you’ll get the idea.

This is a good tip, I'll check to see if the wipers are sitting flush

Looks like I found the culprit. One of the wiper blades has part of its housing mechanism completely bent. Must have been a default on assembly because I can’t even pry it back in place with pliers… tested the wipers with just the one good wiper down and no stutter. Guess it’s back to crappy tire to return this trash

Looks like I found the culprit. One of the wiper blades has part of its housing mechanism completely bent. Must have been a default on assembly because I can’t even pry it back in place with pliers… tested the wipers with just the one good wiper down and no stutter. Guess it’s back to crappy tire to return this trash

IMG_8283.jpeg

IMG_8284.jpeg

IMG_8285.jpeg

I had a friend in high school whose brother got mad at him and dumped a qt of motor oil on his windshield. I can't remember his wipers ever skipping after that. :LOL:

That’s nothing, my wife tried to fix her squeaking bicycle brakes by oiling them

• Haha
Reactions: BlueC
That’s nothing, my wife tried to fix her squeaking bicycle brakes by oiling them

How'd that work out? When I was a kid, I did something similar with my go-cart. I was oiling my chain and noticed a shinny metal drum (drum and band style brake), so I gave it a little oil too. Those brakes never did work right after that. :sneaky: