Subwoofer Box Size in the trunk Help

Don Bulee

TJ Enthusiast
Hello, since I got my TJ I have always had a sealed box for my two 12 inch subwoofers (installed by PO) but the box already needs to be replaced.... so I start reading a bit about it and I found out that my subs requires/recommend way more free volume of air in the box (each sub requires 1.25 cu ft) of what I have (right now I only have around 50% of that for each sub).. I know there are some sound gurus here so, would it be better to just replace my current box for a same one with the same dimensions (keeping my subs a bit strangled by the small amount of air available) or should it be better to say good bye to one subwoofer and keep only one (instead of 2) but with enough space for it to keep working as it is recommended by MTX?

right now Im okay with my tight cargo space since I have all what I need but, not sure if I would be able to make the box bigger to have the two subs since I DO need my small current space for recovery gear...

summary:
- MTX recommends 2.50 cubic feet for my two subs
- I only have around 1.25 cubic feet available in my current box for both subs (50% of recommended)
- what would be better? keep the same dimensions in a new box or use only one sub with the recommended space in the box
- the amp is not a problem, I have a skar marine with more than 600 watts RMS at 2 ohms, my two subs are more than enough fed with power....

20220811_191726.jpg

The answer is subjective

Your musical tastes are something no one can guess at.
I am a GenX metalhead and just one 10” sub suits me fine. Old timers will think youre nuts

I ran dual 12’s back when I was 20 something for club music and some various other genres. It was beyond obnoxious, bandpass box, but cool as a kid.

I will tell you it depends on your musical preference, but make sure you give the subs the proper space to operate or its a”halfassed” result

The answer is subjective

Your musical tastes are something no one can guess at.
I am a GenX metalhead and just one 10” sub suits me fine. Old timers will think youre nuts

I ran dual 12’s back when I was 20 something for club music and some various other genres. It was beyond obnoxious, bandpass box, but cool as a kid.

I will tell you it depends on your musical preference, but make sure you give the subs the proper space to operate or its a”halfassed” result

I listen to pretty much all kind of music, rock, metal, EDM, rap, country, etc.... but mostly rock...... but.... the kind of music is a factor to have 2 halfassed subs instead of 1 but with proper space? my question was more aimed into the technical factor... would I benefict more for having two subs with improper space instead of only one with the proper space in the box?