Suggestions for a budget air compressor for a plasma cutter

LJ FlexN

Supporting Member
I have never used a plasma cutter but am tired of using a cut off wheel for everything. So I finally ordered one and everything I have read tells me my little pancake compressor isn't going to work well with it. I'm not looking for the best nor am I looking for the cheapest compressor. Something that is going to be reliable, work well with the plasma cutter while not breaking the bank.

How big or what model of plasma did you buy? That would help in figuring out the CFM requirements. Also what do you intend to cut or length at a time? Cutting 12 linear inches for a bracket is different than running a CNC table or breaking down sheets/panels.

What power do you have in your garage/shop? A decent sized compressor will need 30A@240V and about the same for the Plasma. You have to figure they will both be running at the same time.

I ran a 40A no name Italian unit for years of a 120V Craftsman 25gal Oil Less compressor and could cut 2 or 3ft before it would kick on. If I was doing a bunch of cutting it seemed like it ran all the time and never caught up. At tha time I had a 40A@240V feed to the shop and I tripped the main a couple times. Now I've upgraded to a HyperTherm 45XP and a big 3 cylinder 80gal compressor with a 100A@240V feed to the Shop. Air quality is a big deal with plasma if you want your consumables to last. DRY DRY DRY air is the key. Those little drops of moisture hit that plasma stream and EXPLODE which erodes your consumables. I ran a double loop of copper around my 40x40 shop when I bought the HyperTherm to help dry the air before it hits the Plasma.

Hacks: If you are cutting short lengths, intermittently, then rigging an additional air tank (as in portable like used for tires) would give you some more short term capacity using the Pancake. Do you have a MIG/TIG welder? You could run from the CO2 or Nitrogen bottle as your air source for the Plasma.

the Primeweld cut60 is what I ordered. I do have 240 ran to my garage but that is what the cutter will be running off of so I was planning on sticking with a 120 compressor. I have an air dryer coming as well. It will mostly be for short cuts with the longest being 24" - 30" for making a new skid plate for a tummy tuck.

is there a plasma cutter with built in air you would recommend for clean cuts on 1/4"

Most of the built in compressor models are lighter duty, meant for the HVAC sheet metal trade. 20Amp and might cut 3/16. Hypertherm did have a PowerMax 30 "Air" I believe with a compressor but $2000+. Hobart has a 12ci for $1000 but it only rates for 1/8 and a 1/4in sever cut. Lincoln Tomahawk 375 with Air is $1800 and rated for 1/4in cut.

the Primeweld cut60 is what I ordered. I do have 240 ran to my garage but that is what the cutter will be running off of so I was planning on sticking with a 120 compressor. I have an air dryer coming as well. It will mostly be for short cuts with the longest being 24" - 30" for making a new skid plate for a tummy tuck.

What dryer you get?

I have a Hankison installed but not plumbed in yet.

Its pretty dry where I'm at. I have a big cooler between my pump and tank, and an unloader operated tank drain that take care of probably 95% of my water. Its rare to get anything at the filter/ separator setup at the machine.

20230523_134936.jpg