suggestions/ideas how to carry a canoe on top?

Valdez

I have a 12 foot long canoe, weighs 50 lbs, that I would like to know if it's possible to carry it on top of my 97 TJ hardtop?
Any ideas, or can someone direct me to a post where some one has posted doing it.

I wouldn't recommend it. The hard top only makes contact with the tub in the back and the windshield up front.

If you hit any obstacle in the road too hard, you're going to crack your hard top.

He is correct if you really have to do that you need to invest in a roof cage ...I could see making it work short term but you really really need to watch what you’re doing.

the previous owner of my LJ carried surf boards. I would not have even thought twice about putting my wife’s kayak on it. Hell, I’ve winched the top on and off by the Yakima cross bars a few times.

12C966CD-C555-4AEE-83B7-A740027FA55E.jpeg

I did not mean to imply I was going to sit the canoe directly on the hardtop. I wanted to know of a cargo system that could be attached to the roof, that would distribute the weight - is that a possibility?

I did not mean to imply I was going to sit the canoe directly on the hardtop. I wanted to know of a cargo system that could be attached to the roof, that would distribute the weight - is that a possibility?
The Yakima rack on mine in the pic above attach to tracks bolted through the hard top running the length.

I’ve never tried carrying mine on my hardtop but I have with my soft top with no issues. I tied loops that go around my roll bar that can be closed in the doors so I can run ratchet straps over the center of the Jeep.

Nice job I like the rack. How do you have it mounted in the rear?
It is mounted to heavy duty brackets inside the tub and runs down to the frame on both sides from there. The rack will handle just about anything you would want to put up on top. It is solid. I wanted to keep it clean looking and not sticking out from the side of the Jeep. (like you see many others)