Suggestions on small rust spot on tun rail

Stockli

TJ Enthusiast
i have a small,crispy spot right on the corner on the driver side rear tub rail. I'm not exactly sure how to fix it because I can reach underneath the rail in between the rail and the tub.

Has anyone dealt with this yet? Any suggestions on an effective quick fix?

I guess eventually I can cut the rail and re-weld a rail pice in but I don't want todo that now, I'm pretty broke and no welder

Got any pictures? That will definitely help the assessment.

If it was me I would obviously use a wire wheel to sand down as much off the rust as possible. After that I would use a rust encapsulator. That will take care of it for sure.

I will post pic later, it is right on the pointy corner piece near the tailgate.

I was planning on wire wheel and a drill, but I'm not sure what would dompletelynstop the rust. I have used rust bullit before and I think it's junk. Not a fan of por either really.

Reactions: Chris
I will post pic later, it is right on the pointy corner piece near the tailgate.

I was planning on wire wheel and a drill, but I'm not sure what would dompletelynstop the rust. I have used rust bullit before and I think it's junk. Not a fan of por either really.

The wire wheel is definitely the place to start. Once you get as much rust off as you can, I would personally use POR15 (I've had fantastic luck with it).

However, if you don't want to use POR15, you could use the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, which I've had amazing success with as well.

I think the key with anything rust related (and paint in general), is that it's ALL about prep. If you don't prep it right, it will never set the way you want it to.