Super ghetto third brake light

Tbird Clair

Li'l Wrascal
Supporting Member
So the dealership Jerry rigged this cheap'O solution for lack of a third brake light so she could pass inspection before sale... It's gotta go! Any suggestions for the best answer to this problem? There's got to be a classier option!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Really not sure. What I was looking at there. I retained my factory light and raised it by going to Home Deport and buying some conduit. Three pieces with enough lengthy length to rise above my spare. Then I got threaded rod to go thru the new conduit and enough wire splice to match. All attached to the stock mount. Cheap and effective!

I have never seen anything like that in my entire life, but then I lead a sheltered life it seems. There's some nice looking third brake light kits that put the lights in the spare tire lug nut area. One of those may be a better looking option.

I have never seen anything like that in my entire life, but then I lead a sheltered life it seems. There's some nice looking third brake light kits that put the lights in the spare tire lug nut area. One of those may be a better looking option.
Yeah, I haven't seen anything that's quite right for this setup. I would really prefer to have the brake like attached to the swinging arm of the tire mount as opposed to attached to the jeep door. Was trying to find one that was made for this particular unit but I'm not certain what make it is... Possibly smittybuilt, but no luck so far. Unfortunately the top of that tube where the light is mounted isn't entirely open except for two small holes... Having it open would allow for more possibilities. I may just opt to remove that part of the tire mount and go from there.

Reactions: Chris
I think Oregon requires it as well, but I've never once been hassled since removing it.

If not mistaken it's a federal requirement. If it came from the factory it must remain.

So yesterday I took the cover off the spare to see more clearly what's going on the whole set up. The good news is the spare is brand new so I'll only need to buy 4 new tires for her this time (though I have no idea how old it is) the bad news is it has a tire lock on it and guess who doesn't have the key...
AND I kind of dig how she looks without the cover on... Any reason I should keep the spare covered if I will be doing 5 tire rotations?

...in addition I could get one of those small third brake light Jammies that go in the round hole of the tire mount. They're simple and out of the way and fulfill my state requirement...
832539c7e089df4a77fc92e7714f406b.jpg

Reactions: Chris and StG58
That doesn't look that bad in all honestly.

My spare wheel had a lock on it as well. I took it to Discount Tire (when I was having new tires put on) and they had an impact gun extractor that was able to get the old lock off without an issue. Best of all, it was free! So, my suggestion is to do that when you get new tires put on and they'll likely do it for free as well.

Keeping the spare covered doesn't hurt. I mean if you live somewhere where it's constantly sunny, the cover does keep the UV rays out (and I don't have to explain how UV rays can damage just about anything--tires included--over time).

Reactions: Tbird Clair
That doesn't look that bad in all honestly.

My spare wheel had a lock on it as well. I took it to Discount Tire (when I was having new tires put on) and they had an impact gun extractor that was able to get the old lock off without an issue. Best of all, it was free! So, my suggestion is to do that when you get new tires put on and they'll likely do it for free as well.

Keeping the spare covered doesn't hurt. I mean if you live somewhere where it's constantly sunny, the cover does keep the UV rays out (and I don't have to explain how UV rays can damage just about anything--tires included--over time).

Thanks for the tip! I called the dealer where I bought her they're going to try and contact the previous owner to see if he still has the lock... If that doesn't pan out I was going to have a locksmith take it off but maybe I'll just wait till I get new tires.
As for the brake light mod, I think it's perfect except if one wanted to keep the tire covered ... I'm undecided.

Reactions: Chris
Just get rid of that damn wheel lock on the spare. Such an annoying hassle!

I was happy when the guys at Discount Tire got mine off and threw it away.

Yeah, I haven't seen anything that's quite right for this setup. I would really prefer to have the brake like attached to the swinging arm of the tire mount as opposed to attached to the jeep door. Was trying to find one that was made for this particular unit but I'm not certain what make it is... Possibly smittybuilt, but no luck so far. Unfortunately the top of that tube where the light is mounted isn't entirely open except for two small holes... Having it open would allow for more possibilities. I may just opt to remove that part of the tire mount and go from there.
This bumper tire carrier looks like the one I just installed from Extreme Terrain. http://www.extremeterrain.com/redrock-4x4-rear-bumper-yj-tj-j100585.html

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk