Superwinch EP 9.0

Noslo65

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I picked up a “new”, never mounted Superwinch EP 9.0 for under $300. I’m aware that Superwinch was bought out and that product support will be next to nothing, and that it is HEAVY. Does anyone have any experience with this model or similar models?
D4E68737-3E40-4221-9612-47D682CC1694.jpeg

I have a superwinch lp8500. Its done everything I asked it to. My two gripes; the clutch won't engage unless the drum is in a certain spot, and it is god awful slow.

20201016_170116.jpg

Its done some very long pulls and didn't feel hot afterwards. I use it several times a year.

Thanks. I couldn’t find a lot of information on it before I purchased it but they do seem well built and similar to the current Talon 9.5 model. It seems like it is a good candidate for a synthetic line as well.

I have the TIger Shark 9500 Synthetic. 3 years and running, no issues

I have the TIger Shark 9500 Synthetic. 3 years and running, no issues
Does the drum only have one spot for the clutch to engage in? Just curious. I have to rotate the drum until I hit that spot before I can start winching in on mine.

Does the drum only have one spot for the clutch to engage in? Just curious. I have to rotate the drum until I hit that spot before I can start winching in on mine.
No, it engages at multiple locations without the need to rotate the drum. This winch was manufactured in 2017. It is slow though, like you commented.

Reactions: tworley
I've had mine for 7 years now. It's done dozens of hard pulls, been through 2 synthetic lines, but has never let me down. To be fair, it has lived it's entire life in the garage, when not being driven.

AzP3FH7.jpg

Glad you say that, it wasn’t my first choice but used Warns are hard to find near me and they always seem beat up or comparable in price to a new one.

You won't be dissapointed. I do recommend dropping the cable and picking up some 3/8" x 85' TRE rope, along with a safety thimble, and Hawse fairlead. The EPi 9 is heavy, so the rope/fairlead will be easier to handle, safer, and shave 20 lbs of the nose.

Reactions: Zorba
Awesome. I ultimately wanted to go to a synthetic rope and that played into my decision on finding a good inexpensive used winch and making the upgrades with the saved money.

Reactions: Irun