Suspension seats versus coil spring seats

MillAlien

Lifetime Supporting Member
Our OEM seats are up for replacement - they're pretty whipped and I'd keep 'em but my wife is hyper-sensitive to road shock from potholes and is insisting that we either reupholster the OEM seats or replace those with new seats which have coil springs and cushions rather than with good suspension seats; she thinks the coil springs will have better shock absorption. This seems to me to be completely opposite of reality - defies the very purpose of suspension seats - but I've never sat in a suspension seat, there's no demo models to try out, and well, the next $ spent will have to be for seat upgrade and I sure don't want to have to hear about this ever again. ;)

Our off-road use, if you can call it that, is primarily potholed forest roads. I'm pretty happy with the OME/Rancho 2.5" lift arrangement and don't see a need to fool with that. I did recently 'downgrade' to OEM wheels and 31's sort of accidentally, but like the ride so much that I'm probably not going to go back to the 32/33 tire size that I'd been running on some after-market wheels.*

I've researched the suspension seat market and choice of brand there isn't the issue - it's whether to get suspension seats at all.

Thoughts on this?

* This is a whole 'nother story for another day/another thread.

Buy a spring set it on table and smush it when your hand hits the table that’s your bottom absorbing the impact.

now get a rubber band hold it out in the air so it’s stretched out and smush it let me know when you absorb the impact.

Suspension seats would be my go to.

PRP makes great seats as well as Mastercraft.

Another way to help fight the bumps is airing down and slowing down.
I would not have given this a second thought and was planning on suspension seats until this became a marital issue. I do air the tires down somewhat; slowing down is not something I've even been good at it but I'm working on it.

... but I've never sat in a suspension seat
the OEM seats are a type of suspension seat

seat.jpg

Reactions: psrivats
but I've never sat in a suspension seat, there's no demo models to try out, and well, the next $ spent will have to be for seat upgrade and I sure don't want to have to hear about this ever again.
I can understand this dilemma. I spent a day calling around the Southeast looking for a specific model seat, I wanted to see one in person. Pictures just arnt the same, It would be nice to put eyes and hands on a product before having to commit so spending much money.

I can understand this dilemma. I spent a day calling around the Southeast looking for a specific model seat, I wanted to see one in person. Pictures just arnt the same, It would be nice to put eyes and hands on a product before having to commit so spending much money.
This is the fundamental problem - no floor models.

Reactions: Fouledplugs