Sweaty transmission !

Ben Packwood

IMG_6282.JPG
IMG_6284.JPG
Hi All,

I've had my '99 TJ about a month now, and just started to notice a few drops from under the car at work today. Few photos attached for your perusal, any advice welcome, from what I've read it's not an uncommon issue, just need to work out whether to tackle it myself!!

Thanks.

View attachment 31290 View attachment 31291 Hi All,

I've had my '99 TJ about a month now, and just started to notice a few drops from under the car at work today. Few photos attached for your perusal, any advice welcome, from what I've read it's not an uncommon issue, just need to work out whether to tackle it myself!!

Thanks.
Check higher to see where the leak starts. Make sure the vent hose in on the fitting on top of the t-case. You cable shifter nuts are loose on the trans bracket which induces slop into the shifts. When adjusted properly, there should be a small amount of play at both ends of the shift positions and there should be no pressure trying to hold the handle in place against the detents. Likely missing a gasket in the muffler flange. The orange RTV is likely due to a leak which typically means the fasteners are fubar or the gasket was destroyed. Or, it could just mean that they are rusted beyond use and need to be replaced.

Given the fact that you have both clear and red color drips, the trans also as a small leak and it could be the vent as well. Where is your belly skid?