swing out tire carrier squeaks.....

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
hey guys, I am having some squeaking from my tire carrier. As i'm driving, the tire moves ever so slightly and or the rod between the carrier and the tailgate with a rubber bushing is squeaking. Should I find a larger bushing for the connector rod or adapt a couple bump stops on the swing arm A frame? Just wondering if yall have had this problem and how ya may have solved it?
28045-1df876aa2c8af9ec6500a9d75ee14183.jpg

how convenient would it have been for the tailgate bump stop bolts to be the same size as the OEM tire carrier bolts !?

I can't see as that picture is too small. but are you saying the upper part of your A-frame of the tire carrier is moving around?

On the back of the tailgate extend the bump stops so that it presses firmly against your bumper so it won't move. You want zero movement of that thing going down the road.

Mine came from the PO with the swing out style. It was a constant noise maker. I originally fixed it by putting some felt pads where the swing out makes contact with the bumper near the latch. Then I fixed it by installing an Exogate! ;)

Reactions: glwood
well Im pretty sure the squeak is from ( there is a small 1/2 rod about 4 inches long with rings welded to each end and rubber bushings pressed in each ring and a bolt through each bushing that attaches to a bracket on both the tail gate and the swing A arm) one of the rubber bushings and bolts being loose . but i think a longer bumper will fix the problem along with a new bushing that fits the bolt. I will drill the new rubber bump stop out to accept one of the bolts (but a longer bolt) that used to hold the OEM tire carrier, which is in the perfect place to stop any movement the A arm in having.
I know that is going to be confusing to read cause I had a hard time typing it. ha. I will get a picture of it so it will make better sense.