Switch question

Stevireno

Supporting Member
Hi All,

First day here... I have a YJ for plowing, just purchased a 2000 TJ for winter fun. There are 2 bumper lights that I cant figure out.... This model has a pull out light switch on the left side (no stalk) and it has a strangle looking switch to the right of the rear window controls...

My thoughts were to open the panel up and see if the wires going to the mystery switch activate the bumper lights, but wanted to run it past the pros first...

Thanks all.

PS I also pulled about 5 lbs of mouse nesting and droppings from the blower fan housing! Jeep sat for 6 months....

-Steve

IMG_20221219_065438069.jpg

IMG_20221219_065445018.jpg

IMG_20221218_144015690.jpg

IMG_20221219_065423094.jpg

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Hi All,

First day here... I have a YJ for plowing, just purchased a 2000 TJ for winter fun. There are 2 bumper lights that I cant figure out.... This model has a pull out light switch on the left side (no stalk) and it has a strangle looking switch to the right of the rear window controls...

My thoughts were to open the panel up and see if the wires going to the mystery switch activate the bumper lights

The strange looking switch appears to be whats left of a broken toggle switch.

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
They just don't look good with the newer bumpers.... (This was just a staged prank photo... bumper was properly disposed of as hazardous waste after picture)

1671460282880.png

Agree on the switch, it looks broken, toggle metal stick is gone from looks of it.

I’d also look under the hood from the battery and see if there are wires running to a relay etc. it should go from the battery to relay and wires to the switch and lights from the relay.

Well, that bumper is "exceptionally large", but not "fine", and I don't know about "successful".
OP, you could watch the Parts For Sale section for a cheap/free stock bumper: https://wranglertjforum.com/forums/parts-for-sale.128/

And to get back to the original question, which other switch were you wondering about? That knob sticking out left of the steering column? Dash light brightness?

• Haha
Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
Well, that bumper is "exceptionally large", but not "fine", and I don't know about "successful".
OP, you could watch the Parts For Sale section for a cheap/free stock bumper: https://wranglertjforum.com/forums/parts-for-sale.128/

And to get back to the original question, which other switch were you wondering about? That knob sticking out left of the steering column? Dash light brightness?
As this is my first TJ, I assumed that pull out thing was standard equipment for the lights and dimmer. Is that not original also? Did I buy a frankenjeep?

As this is my first TJ, I assumed that pull out thing was standard equipment for the lights and dimmer. Is that not original also? Did I buy a frankenjeep?

At this point, many/most TJs are somewhat franken-ized, sometimes with better parts, sometimes with worse. Your wheels are not original, either. Keep what you like, change out what you don't like, that's part of the fun of owning a TJ.

At this point, many/most TJs are somewhat franken-ized, sometimes with better parts, sometimes with worse. Your wheels are not original, either. Keep what you like, change out what you don't like, that's part of the fun of owning a TJ.

Awesome, thanks, I cant wait to strip it down for summer!