T40 Recommendations

Find a local parts store (for me that is Carquest) that stocks Lisle brand ones and pick up two. They are impact rated and they will usually just give you a new one when it breaks.

Reactions: AndyG
I've been using the same set of torx impact sockets from harbor freight on vehicles for years, none of them have given up yet. Actually never broken a harbor freight impact socket of any kind.

Not saying they'll live forever in a shop environment, but... I know guys that work on commercial trucks that use them too.

ymmv I can't imagine every run of sockets from harbor freight are made to the same standard either.

I've been using the same set of torx impact sockets from harbor freight on vehicles for years, none of them have given up yet. Actually never broken a harbor freight impact socket of any kind.

Not saying they'll live forever in a shop environment, but... I know guys that work on commercial trucks that use them too.

ymmv I can't imagine every run of sockets from harbor freight are made to the same standard either.

The Harbor Freight ones are the only ones I haven't broken

Heat the bolts to get the Loctite to lose its grip on them. Insert the torx bit into the bolt use a torch or a heat gun to get it and thus the bolt smoking hot. Or insert a soldering iron into it. Get it hot enough and it'll come right out. No more snapped torx bits.

It used to be a known, even when painted, penetrant would work in on CJ7 tapered door hinge bolts. It worked.

Reactions: John Cooper
What Jerry said, HEAT!!! The best thing is use a pencil torch or the little hand held torches (cheap from harbor freight). Hold the flame close and in the center of the bolt for about 30-45sec or so. They should pop loose without a problem using a hammer impact driver. I have done numerous window frames and door brackets this way successfully. Without heat I’ve only manage to break torx bits or break the bolt head off.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford