Tail Light Mounting Hole Rust

RME TJ

First TJ (2004 RME) and this forum has been an invaluable resource. I've read a lot of posts on fixing and preventing rust but I would really appreciate some opinions on addressing a rust issue I found on my tail light mounting holes. There is a small amount of bubbling on the paint at the holes but I do not feel any rust on the backside of the holes. Based on the pictures, do you think I can fix this by grinding down the paint to remove the bubbling rust and repainting it? This is the only area of rust on the body (besides some tiny rock chips) and I want to fix it so that it doesn't come back. Going forward I will be spraying fluid film on the backside of this area in hopes I can avoid the rust spots that are common under the taillights. Also, on the PS there are streaking stains from the metal tail light guards that rusted through. Any suggestion for removing those stains? Any help would be appreciated!

Jeep Tail Light PS.jpg

Jeep Tail Light DS.jpg

Spray some berkebile PFC on those spots real good and install tail lights.
The same will also take care of your rust steaks.

If you don't have access to that use your fluid film on it and install.

Use some stainless hardware so it doesn't promote anymore rust.

The actual bolt size is 12-24. If you can't find stainless just put wheel bearing grease on the bolt threads and surfaces so again it fights adding more rusting possible properties.

Either way...
Apply, install tail lights, forget about it and go wheeling.

Grind all that rust and bubbling paint off. Down to nothing but CLEAN metal. Use a quality self-etching primer then a primer/paint made to prevent rust from the same company for best adhesion. Yea, I know it shouldn't matter if you use primer from a different brand than the paint, but sometimes it seems like it sure does. Behind the lights dosen't need to be a perfect paint match, so use whatever brand you feel offers the best rust control. I use Rustolium, but mostly out of 40 years of habit. There could be better products out there now. After that pull back the rear wheel liners and get any dirt or gunk built up there. Then coat with a good Cosmoline product. That should seal up the metal to prevent any new rust coming back. If you find any rust behind the plastic liner then clean any rust off first. Then the self-etching....... You get the idea.

I appreciate the suggested approaches. I'm in Indiana so I won't be doing any wheeling until they stop salting the roads. That gives me some time to grind it down and get rid of the rust for good. @Goatman, good to know about the self-etching primer. I've not done a lot of painting so thanks for pointing out that I need to use this. Does grinding pose any risk to the threads? It's almost like they were overtightened and pulled out from the sheet metal (new pic attached). Not sure if this is normal but since there are not many threads in the first place, I don't want to do anything that will cause issues with securing the new light. I'm probably overthinking it but I haven't done much bodywork so I thought I'd ask.

2021-01-18_10-35-22.png

Before you start fixing, you just as well look for more so you can do it all at once.
Check behind flares, mirrors, license plate, tailgate hinges, etc., etc.

LongJP2 - I found a little on the lower tailgate hinge. I'll get a better picture but would you recommend that I remove the hinge? I have not checked behind the flares or mirrors yet but that's a good suggestion and I will. Otherwise, there's a little chipped paint on the door hinges and several stone chips that need to be addressed. Nothing behind the license plate mount, headlights, turn lights or cowl. Any other hiding spots I should look at?

Tailgate Hinge.png
Jeep American Flag.jpg
Jeep Frame.jpg
Jeep Frame 2.jpg

First TJ (2004 RME) and this forum has been an invaluable resource. I've read a lot of posts on fixing and preventing rust but I would really appreciate some opinions on addressing a rust issue I found on my tail light mounting holes. There is a small amount of bubbling on the paint at the holes but I do not feel any rust on the backside of the holes. Based on the pictures, do you think I can fix this by grinding down the paint to remove the bubbling rust and repainting it? This is the only area of rust on the body (besides some tiny rock chips) and I want to fix it so that it doesn't come back. Going forward I will be spraying fluid film on the backside of this area in hopes I can avoid the rust spots that are common under the taillights. Also, on the PS there are streaking stains from the metal tail light guards that rusted through. Any suggestion for removing those stains? Any help would be appreciated!

View attachment 218168

View attachment 218169
Hi everyone, just joined and this is post #1.

I have a similar problem as the OP. My TJ is a 2005 RME and my passenger side tail light bolt holes have rusted and enlarged themselves to the point where the bolt threads no longer engage and the tail light falls off.

I'd prefer to fix the holes rather than use a larger bolt.

What are my options?

Hi everyone, just joined and this is post #1.

I have a similar problem as the OP. My TJ is a 2005 RME and my passenger side tail light bolt holes have rusted and enlarged themselves to the point where the bolt threads no longer engage and the tail light falls off.

I'd prefer to fix the holes rather than use a larger bolt.

What are my options?
Yea grind out the rust. Drill out the holes. weld in some nuts with same thread and paint. Or if you can get behind that area get you some flange nuts in the same thread that are larger diameter than the holes you have and just thread those into them. and some Loctite so they dont loosen still may require you to drill them out. Most of these stock nuts are just welded nuts. just remove replace.