Tail light wiring

Rosey

I'm trying to replace my original tail lights with newer ones. The problem is the wires aren't the same color. The old lights have a white, green with black stripe, and white with black stripe. If anyone has a 97 that has experienced this and knows which wires control what, please help. I saw an old post with the exact same problem and same color wires but I can't find it.

1716310453842.png

Are your grounding the light case ?

The three wires will be for Tail, Brake, and Backup lights. The light still needs a ground. If the new lights are just a OEM style light, they grounded by being screwed into the tub. If not, they need to ground some other way.
To figure what powers what, you need at least a test light, though a meter is better.
Turn your lights on, and test each wire to see which one has power. That wire will be the Tail Light.
Turn lights off and turn on flashers. Whichever wire has power coming on and off is the flasher.
The remaining wire will be your Backup light.

Reactions: Woodrow
K.I.S.S.

Existing wiring identification

Even without a wiring diagram to go off of, you just use a 12V test light/probe and have a 2nd person assist to identify what wire is what on the Jeep tail light.

New wires identification
You can test your new tail light wires off the car battery to identify what ea wire is for. Ground should always be black on aftermarket non-OEM, and that can to to a ring terminal between the new taillight and body.

You can always use whatever OEM or new weatherpack/metripack connector you want with the proper crimp tool ($30) heres a kit for example
https://www.amazon.com/Metri-Pack-W...-Connectors/dp/B0CLRGCRFX/?tag=wranglerorg-20

For anything LED id recommend inline resistors

Last edited:
Check the fuse for the tail lights, brake lights and back up lights. Possibly damaged during the time of trying to install the prior sets of tail lights with all the color combinations?

Reactions: CreepinDeth