Tailgate strabalizer JK style, what you think?

Tigerman

TJ Enthusiast
Ride of the Month Winner
Hey guys,

I figured that the TJ coukd benefit from a tailgate stabalizer. Naturally, I designed and made one. What do you think? Suggestions ideas?

The plates are strong impact resistant plastic. They are secured using bolts and nutserts. So far, all the light clunk and rattle from the tailgate area is gone. Ohh, the legs of the bracket have rubber glued.
20181109_140915.jpg20181109_140908.jpg20181109_141533.jpg

20181109_141533.jpg

Awesome idea! I always look at my tailgate and feel like there should be an upper and lower attachment point on that side. I would be curious what parts you used to do this as I might like to do something like this myself.

Reactions: Tigerman
Maybe mine shuts all funny because the tailgate is bent... I suppose that doesn't help :rolleyes:

Awesome idea! I always look at my tailgate and feel like there should be an upper and lower attachment point on that side. I would be curious what parts you used to do this as I might like to do something like this myself.

Hi Chris,

I actually designed and made this from scratch. First I designed it in SolidWorks as 3D models, then I used a 3D printer and printed it out of PLA plastic. Once printed I made a mold with silicone and poured the parts from a much more durable plastic called "Balck Onyx". It is a very durable resin similar to derlin. I am hoping it will hold. We will see. Here are some pics.
20181109_194540.jpg20181109_194601.jpg20181109_194633.jpg20181109_194717.jpg20181109_195206.jpg
I am going to machine a set from a solid block of Black Onyx tonight to make it nicer. If you want, I can make a set for you too once I finish a nicer mold.

Cheers.

Reactions: jjvw
Its cool. Interesting idea. But I’ve never thought my tailgate needed something like this? It’s already stout and stable. Doesn’t move or rattle at all.
That's awesome. Mine was a bit rattly especially offroad, so I decided to do what the Jeep engineers did for the JK's tailgate: stabilize it. :)

Hi Chris,

I actually designed and made this from scratch. First I designed it in SolidWorks as 3D models, then I used a 3D printer and printed it out of PLA plastic. Once printed I made a mold with silicone and poured the parts from a much more durable plastic called "Balck Onyx". It is a very durable resin similar to derlin. I am hoping it will hold. We will see. Here are some pics.
View attachment 62591View attachment 62592View attachment 62593View attachment 62594View attachment 62595
I am going to machine a set from a solid block of Black Onyx tonight to make it nicer. If you want, I can make a set for you too once I finish a nicer mold.

Cheers.

How durable is that plastic compared to something like CNC aluminum? Either way, yes, I would love a set, and I'd be happy to pay you for your time as well!

That looks like a great design, I have to admit! Do you feel like it made a difference?

How durable is that plastic compared to something like CNC aluminum? Either way, yes, I would love a set, and I'd be happy to pay you for your time as well!

That looks like a great design, I have to admit! Do you feel like it made a difference?

Honestly as durable as the manufacturer of this plastic claims it to be, I don't think it is as good as aluminum. It should be made from aluminum. 6 series, like T6 will work perfectly. Time will definitely tell. You and I can test it out and see how it goes. I can always machine it out of aluminum too.

Difference, ohh yes!! made a difference. The tailgate is solid as a rock now. I am happy about it. PM me your address and you don't have to pay me. This is just a prototype ;)

Reactions: Chris
Honestly as durable as the manufacturer of this plastic claims it to be, I don't think it is as good as aluminum. It should be made from aluminum. 6 series, like T6 will work perfectly. Time will definitely tell. You and I can test it out and see how it goes. I can always machine it out of aluminum too.

Difference, ohh yes!! made a difference. The tailgate is solid as a rock now. I am happy about it. PM me your address and you don't have to pay me. This is just a prototype ;)

Cool, I'll be happy to test it out! I've got that 35" spare tire with the Exogate, so I think I can definitely be a good test subject.

If it really does turn out to be all it seems, then yes, at some point it might be nice to make them out of aluminum, as that would obviously be much more durable and long lasting. But in the meantime, I don't open my tailgate all that much, so I don't foresee an issue with plastic.

Reactions: Tigerman
Curious to see the findings I might be interested. I don’t think I have too much of an issue right now but anything to keep it all tighter is a pro in my book.