Talk me out of this

BigDes

2006 LJ 46k Auto Red $19k.

Yes I know that is possibly a little expensive.

I'd be bringing it up from Oklahoma to Nebraska. It originally was from South Carolina and the last 11 years were in Arkansas. Frame has been coated but looks to be in good shape. Floor is also lined.

Comes with a bikini top, tube doors and extra set of wheels and tires.

Like I said talk me out of it... or is this a decent deal?

Here are pics:

IMG_20200731_143429786.jpg

IMG_20200731_143420399.jpg

IMG_20200731_143413345.jpg

IMG_20200731_143402514.jpg

IMG_20200731_143350604.jpg

IMG_20200731_143342750.jpg

IMG_20200731_152728798.jpg

IMG_20200731_152737067.jpg

IMG_20200731_152632973_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200731_152626154.jpg

IMG_20200731_152513508.jpg

IMG_20200731_152357018.jpg

Being from SC, I'd want to make sure the frame is solid in case it was driven on the beach alot and not washed to make sure that the recently applied coating wasn't to hide any bad cancer.

Otherwise, it looks really straight and I don't see any modifications.

Reactions: TJ2
The undercoating freaks me out. Can see rust where they missed some spots. Give the frame a complete check, inside all holes etc. Same with the tub, seat bolts are rusty, what are they hiding?

I personally wouldn't buy a TJ with an undercoated frame because it annoys me, but if you can verify the frame is rust free it doesn't really matter. They can't undercoat the inside and hide the rot you should care about... hopefully.

Looks clean. Price might be a little high for a non-rubi, but I like the Jeep.

Reactions: TJ2 and Tomcat
The suspension painting is indication that is not in mint condition.
With that, $19k is way too high.
$12k - $15k max. bec. is not a Rubi

I thought the price was super high until I looked at Manheim values (auction) and it has it as spot on for auction price and retail at over $22. Seller said he checked inside of the frame and no flaking and I didn't bring that up. He really gave me more info than I expected i was just letting him talk. Undercoating doesn't really bother me as I'd probably do it due to me living in NE.

I also do not like the frame and EVERYTHING else coated. This is what I paid for a LJR with 23K miles. No hard top and the soft top was not in great shape.

Reactions: TJ2
For me personally, that is precisely the first thing I should avoid because the "no flaking paint" rust is hidden underneath the new fresh coat and as time goes bye in a salty environment, rusts will creep all over the frame and tub without you knowing it because it is hidden by the paint.

Of course it's not flaking, by the time it starts to flake, it will bubble next. You scrape the bubble wallaa!

Edit: that is the type of paint they should not use to cover up surface rusts.

Last edited:
Of course it's not flaking, by the time it starts to flake, it will bubble next. You scrape the bubble wallaa!

Edit: that is the type of paint they should not use to cover up surface rusts.

I hear ya, thanks for the advice. Can't help but think it might at least be worth the trip to look at.

Hercu-liner (bed liner cracks) absorbs moist and when it mixes with salty road turds and dries inside the garage on winter time, it is like a cancer, it creeps in on you. You will see it when it's too late.

If you live in Texas, you will be fine.

Reactions: billiebob
I'm with the others that say undercoating hides rust. For that kind of money you should be getting a Rubicon version of the LJ. Beware the 2005 PCM issues. Why did someone strip out the carpet? It'll cook your feet.

Don

Looks like the frame has been painted with something but not paint. I'd want details.
Same on the interior, where are the rugs?

It is not a top $$$ example.

Looks like a used car lot or god forbid curber sale offer $12K
And the tires look miled out.

Last edited:
Everything not coated is covered in dried mud or rust. The "small lift" has a LARGE tcase drop. Probably a RC lift with Bilstein shocks. If it was $15,000 or less, it might be worth looking at. I'll take a well maintained, average mileage Jeep over a low mileage "sketchy" one. Having had 18 Jeeps of my own, I know that Jeeps always look worse in person than they do in pictures.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Cooper
I think the price is too high. Also in agreement to REALLY check over the frame and the underside of the tub. A lot of times, dealers will undercoat the frame to hide rust, but leave the tub alone. If you have rust in the seams, run away. Chrysler did a crummy job sealing them from the factory and rust creeps in.