Tallest lift that a Rancho RS5000x 0-2 can handle?

H_Nunez

TJ Enthusiast
Ok, so we know that the Rancho RS5000x runs towards the large side. So, how tall can a lift go before switching to the next size?

For the front a stock TJ sits with the shock at roughly 17" of travel, at least mine does. The RS55128 has just about 21" of total extension so stock you get about 4" down travel. If you put a 2" lift you now have very roughly 2" of down travel which isn't great, more than that and well, you've got even less. When people say the shock is long in my opinion that really means the 0-2" is just about 1" longer than a stock TJ shock or just about perfect for a 1" lift. Hopefully somebody that has the shocks and has cycled their suspension can comment.

With my 2.5" spring lift, the Rancho 128s in front and the Jeep sitting level, I have 5" of exposed shock rod. I set my bump stops at 4.5". These shocks have a total travel of 8" according to the Rancho specs.

That setup gives me 4.5" of compression and and 3" of extension.

Last edited:
Your current lift is 2.5", you have 3/4" bump stop extensions, you have 4.5" of up travel.
4.5" - 2.5" + 3/4" = 2 3/4" stock up travel.
That doesn't sound right to me, mine is more like 4". Back tracking to your stock setup the numbers don't really add up to me, have you cycled your suspension to see how it works?