Tap & Die Set

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
I've always owned cheaper tap & die sets but now would like to get a better set as I work on my Jeep. What does everyone recommend?

What’s your budget? I like to buy from places like msc industrial and travers tool company, that is where some machine shops get theirs from. I have a pre chicom craftsman set that was great and get tap sockets, they are wonderful to use in most situations.

Reading this thread got me started thinking about a tap and die set too. Then I started thinking about all the variations - SAE, metric, NPT, etc. Killed my desire to shop. :)

Last edited:
I picked up a metric Snap-On set at an auction 20 years ago. I can definitely tell the difference between the Craftsman set I was using.

What’s your budget? I like to buy from places like msc industrial and travers tool company, that is where some machine shops get theirs from. I have a pre chicom craftsman set that was great and get tap sockets, they are wonderful to use in most situations.
Just because a machine shop uses it, doesn't make it good.

@Wildman get something old. Haunt your auction sites, garage sales, etc. I'm of the belief that there isn't a decent tap and die set made anymore. I bought an old Ace set (not the hardware store) off a local auction house site for 20 bucks. It's way better than the 200 dollar Irwin set my tool room at work has.

If that doesn't work, get taps that are designed to run in machine tools. They are much tougher and have friction reducing coatings on them. Dies are really hard to get anymore.

Reactions: Wildman