Tell me about your personal location beacon

I cannot swear to it but t-mobile and maybe mint mobile iPhones will send out text to emergency services. I do know my phone shows a satellite image when I’m out of cell service now. My neck of the woods has spotty service and I haven’t been out of service long enough to see what the satellite image allows you to do?

Reactions: John Cooper
My iPhone 8 will sometimes show SOS but I’m really not too sure how it works. I like the idea of being able to text info on my situation. Here in my local mountains or desert it might just be texting friends or family to bring me a part. I do not always need the whole Cavalry to show up. The cost of a subscription is not an issue to me.
In my backpacking days I witnessed a few SAR rescues and know how many resources are involved.

My iPhone 8 will sometimes show SOS but I’m really not too sure how it works. I like the idea of being able to text info on my situation. Here in my local mountains or desert it might just be texting friends or family to bring me a part. I do not always need the whole Cavalry to show up. The cost of a subscription is not an issue to me.

You said " My iPhone 8 will sometimes show SOS " the key here is " Sometimes " When I need to use the SOS feature I need it to work ALL the time not sometimes

In my backpacking days I witnessed a few SAR rescues and know how many resources are involved.

This post reminded me that the iPhone 14 and newer can connect to satellites for emergency purposes.

I have a 15 so I guess I have a backup for my inreach.

This post reminded me that the iPhone 14 and newer can connect to satellites for emergency purposes.

I have a 15 so I guess I have a backup for my inreach.

But can it also send text messages ? What happens when you hit SOS once on the phone ?

I bought an InReach Messenger a few months ago for big woods / backcountry hunting.
One additional good feature of the new Messenger model (besides being cheaper than a Mini2) is the ability to charge your phone from it. So it’s a backup battery and GPS communicator in one device.

The thing I don’t like about Garmin is the complicated nickel and dime plans that trick you into spending more money. I bought the cheap plan because it’s all I need. I thought I needed to turn tracking on to enable the backtrack feature, but I didn’t, and it cost me $0.10 every 2 minutes it was on. The extra crappy part was I was paying for waypoints that nobody could even use because I haven’t set up my map yet. So it was purely wasted money and they don’t make it clear that backtrack works as soon as the device is on. Live and learn!
Still a great addition to the comms & nav kit though 👍

I use an inReach. It works well for texting friends/family from remote areas with no cell service. I regularly use the tracking feature that allows them to keep track of my location when I am in Baja.

1699798156487.png

The InReach is pretty standard in the outdoor industry for guides now. I'd stay from Spot beacons. From what I've read they use the same satellites as Apple does for the iPhones and Apple takes priority over Spot so a lot of people have been having issues even just sending messages.