Temp gauge calibration?

Davidtj

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hi recently was doing some work on tj I had a scanner hooked up checking some things and noticed my dash gauge for temp was about 12-15 degrees off from what scanner was reading. I was wondering if you can just pop needle off to recalibrate, if anyone has done that. Took a picture at rest it appears slightly higher then other gauges 82768

Stick the probe in boiling hot water with the power on and engine off and read your temp on the gauge and on the OBD2 reader, this is about as close as you will get. You may have to ground the body of the probe if it has only one wire while doing this.

Reactions: KCsTJ
How did you judge 15 degrees? The first marker on the gauge is 100, followed by a dot and then 210 or about 55 degrees per division. Then the next dot is 265? Nope, another dot and then 260. It reads left when cold, up when operating normal and right when hot.

Edit: by the way this is a defining characteristic of OCD, focusing on little details while ignoring the big picture, you were looking at the needle in a small area but ignoring the fact that the gauge is non-linear by design

Last edited:
Reactions: jjvw
Hi recently was doing some work on tj I had a scanner hooked up checking some things and noticed my dash gauge for temp was about 12-15 degrees off from what scanner was reading. I was wondering if you can just pop needle off to recalibrate, if anyone has done that. Took a picture at rest it appears slightly higher then other gauges View attachment 82768
Don't get OCD over this. What is the factory temperature gauge indicating when you drive it in normal conditions? If it's at or just above 210 that's where it should be.

If one could make the gauge "accurate", how would that change the way you operated the Jeep?

I wouldn't worry about 12-15 degrees myself. You could add a more accurate aftermarket temp gauge if it's that critical to you.

X2.

Not to mention if you pop that needle off you’ll screw the gauge up. Ask me how I know ;)