Tent zipper repair

Midnight LJR

In search of Rubicon flares.
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So just noticed on my new tent the side zipper is like this.

It’s just Zipped wrong because it seems to be installed fine.

It just separated from the start. I have tried giving it pretty hard force in each direction without being able to get it free and was wondering if anyone had any tricks for this before I resort to just using more force.

03D242F1-21B7-466E-A7B8-49E0ABEABD66.jpeg
348D37E1-7458-46E4-A375-5009E17F0442.jpeg
57571AED-4D32-41A8-B18E-E5823F5DF499.jpeg

Last edited:
It isn't going to be easy but some silicone spray or a bar of soap rubbed on the whole thing will help lube it.

Gripping whatever you happen to be grabbing/holding with some pliers or vice grips will help too.

Whatever you end up doing, just be careful you don't tear it.

It isn't going to be easy but some silicone spray or a bar of soap rubbed on the whole thing will help lube it.

Gripping whatever you happen to be grabbing/holding with some pliers or vice grips will help too.

Whatever you end up doing, just be careful you don't tear it.

So it sounds like my guess is correct, it’s going to require lots of force to pull it backwards the full length to the beginning isn’t it?

Can you remove the ferrule(?) from that end? Some just clamp on, and you can separate the seam a little at the fabric.

I’ll look tomorrow but don’t think their is a normal zipper end. They just seem to wrap back into the fabric.

I'm guessing you tried taking it off the other side?

Edit: Not being the smart-ass that sounded like when I read it...

It was originally (from the factory) split about 3/4 of the way down from the start like someone started It not making sure it was locked in correctly, and my hope was I could zip it all the off the other end. Which resulted in how it is now.

So the plan now it to try and force it backwards (in reverse of the way it is meant to operate). Without somehow ripping the tent.

Clear as mud?

Reactions: DEValken
Well I wasn’t able to do anything with it.

But local canvas boat repair place fixed it up in about 10 minutes for 20 bucks.

So all is good again. :)

Glad to hear that.

Did you get to watch or was it taken to the back room?

I did, he cut 2 teeth off the end so he could remove the old pull.

Installed a new pull, then clip on a new zipper stop.

The trick of cutting a couple teeth off to remove the stick one was a cool trick.