Teslas

What do you think of teslas?

• Total voters

Feralkid

Useful Idiot
Supporting Member
I think Teslas are really nice cars.

Electric cars are the future.

Does anyone here own or have you driven a tesla?

Take poll pls, I'm collecting data.

Last edited:
I attended one if their test drive events a few years ago. P90D, I think, whatever the newest one was.

They are fun to drive and have a lot of cool tech. And are also seriously overpriced, IMO. I think the model 3 is a step in the right direction.

As a commuter, around town kind of car they are amazing. I would not be taking one on a round trip that exceeded it's range however. Refueling is a pain. If they can get a full charge down to 15 minutes or less, and have chargers at most every gas station, then I would be buying one.

Long term, while they certainly have their place I don't see them eliminating gas powered cars totally.

One of my dance sisters owns one. I can see an electric car in my future, but Tesla's approach isn't it. Its the exact opposite to what I want in a vehicle, never mind WAAAY too expensive. What I want is a simple car with a real world range of 60-80 miles, no touch screens, no gigantic i-phones, cheap lead acid batteries most likely, and a well designed PWM controller - Cray YMP processing power NOT needed! For under $15K. I would use it for 99% of my driving.
Oh, and needless to say, no thrice damned leather seats, power windows, locks, cameras, cell phones, etc, etc, etc. Which is why I like my Jeep - I'm not a fan at all of the 21st century de-facto luxury vehicle being the ONLY thing you can buy.

If they were affordable, I would own one in a heartbeat, not a question about it.

American company, very highly rated, and all around amazing vehicles. Of course like I said, they aren't anywhere close to affordable.

I can't justify ever paying close to 50k for a vehicle, so it's just not going to happen for me unfortunately. Not unless I win the lottery.

One of my favorite things to do is leave house without my cellphones. I don’t want a car that needs one to start it.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Squatch and Zorba
Did anyone watch Michael Moore's latest movie on YouTube before it was removed ?
'Planet Of The Humans' . . . . .
May give some background into the manufacturing of these and other vehicles.
Personally, I'd much rather spend the equivalent amount of $$ on a 440 Cuda . . .
Two types of class . . . . 1st class and no class. ;)

When I was in high school my Dad and I did a test drive event (I wasn't old enough to drive one myself at the time :(). I really see the appeal to one. They are smooth and extremely comfortable. The range is more than enough for an everyday commute even if you forget to plug it in a few days in a row. Most American's could use one as a great daily driver. I don't really see the downside besides the initial cost.

I can't see myself in one yet. I like older cars that I can work on myself. There is something more fun to me about a 20 year old truck than a brand new Tesla. Maybe in a few years I'll pick a Tesla up, but for now I'll stick to used junkers.

No secret the Model X is a pile. Huge list of issues. The rest have a history of issues as well. I've seen kit cars from scratch that had better panel alignment. Plus, Tesla will tell you to pound sand if you call them on it. (See Rich Rebuilds on YouTube) Try to buy a second hand Tesla or a 'salvage' Tesla. Not going to get parts unless you do it through Tesla at 6X the cost.

In my town, most of the Tesla drivers drive like assholes, and act like assholes. The funny part, is that they are OK with Tesla tracking thier every movement and interaction with the vehicle. Plus, if something happens, the four to six cameras that are constantly recording on the Tesla become discoverable evidence. If you're even in the area (Tesla tracks your vehicle at all times via GPS) during an incident that has nothing to do with you...guess what...you're subject to a search warrant. If you fuck up...good luck trying to get away with it. I laugh when I see these Tesla owners cut people off and run stop lights. They have no idea....

There are Tesla killers out there. Some Porsche, some BMW, and a few others.

BTW I'm not a Musk hater. I like the guy, personally. Even though people give him more credit than he's due. He's a businessman and investor. He's not much of an inventor or Engineer.

My brother has a performance model 3. it is easily the fast car I have been in. I haven't driven it for more than 10 minutes but it was really nice. My parents are buying a long-range 3 next month once my mother's current lease ends.

Personally, a truck fits my lifestyle better though.

I don't do diametric polls.

I do work in the power industry so ask any question. If I had a choice I'd do solar peak ac load and wind augmentation for my area of the country.

Everyone always seems amazed that the state with the most renewable energy is Texas.

Batreries aren't there for electric vehicles given my 400 mile travel radius. Hybrid yes.

Diesel electric is set at a disadvantage by politics yet is the most efficient combination. Fossil bad. But it's the most efficient combination of fuel sources using existing infrastructure and meeting the widest range of current needs with the least transition costs.

All sizes never fits all and the politics of it are like driving a square peg through a round hole with a BFH.

If you are a smart lad you can use politics to your advantage like my company which recieved a $200 million dollar tax break using renewable energy credits.

Companies don't pay taxes because they can.

Tesla is like General Dynamics or Raytheon and is a viable company only because taxpayers poor billions into them.

Tesla or SpaceX would not exist without government interference. They stand on the shoulders of skunkworks and JPL, launch at Kennedy, and pretend they invented it.

Last edited:
Diesel electric is set at a disadvantage by politics yet is the most efficient combination.
THANK YOU!!

Why Americans continue messing with inefficient gasoline engines is beyond me - especially throwing $10K worth of "technology" at a gas engine to make it the approximate equivalent of a diesel. Show me a diesel electric hybrid and you'd have my attention.

4 cylinder diesel electric hybrid manual is what I'd like in my LJ if I replaced the system. Torque, and torque, and gas mileage at speed, while being able to tow small loads.

Oh well VW's 100 mpg diesel hybrid will never reach our shores either.

• Love
Reactions: Zorba and Squatch
4 cylinder diesel electric hybrid manual is what I'd like in my LJ if I replaced the system. Torque, and torque, and gas mileage at speed, while being able to tow small loads.

Oh well VW's 100 mpg diesel hybrid will never reach our shores either.
Getting "gas mileage" out of a diesel...now that's a trick I'd like to see! ;)

Last edited:
How much is a performance model 3? Something like 55k once you option it out? How can anyone justify paying that much for a vehicle that is simply getting you from point A to point B? I mean unless you are just loaded with money or happen to constantly be driving, I just don't get it.

How much is a performance model 3? Something like 55k once you option it out? How can anyone justify paying that much for a vehicle that is simply getting you from point A to point B? I mean unless you are just loaded with money or happen to constantly be driving, I just don't get it.
For me, the issue is of who actually "owns" it. This has been brought up in other threads. Try fixing your wrecked Tesla, and see who the real owner is. Or try driving an "unauthorized repair" Tesla cross-country, and you'll be flying home when you cannot recharge your "unsupported" car at a charging station. Screw that noise! Musk has some awesome ideas, but the whole Tesla service nonsense ain't one of them.

For me, the issue is of who actually "owns" it. This has been brought up in other threads. Try fixing your wrecked Tesla, and see who the real owner is. Or try driving an "unauthorized repair" Tesla cross-country, and you'll be flying home when you cannot recharge your "unsupported" car at a charging station. Screw that noise! Musk has some awesome ideas, but the whole Tesla service nonsense ain't one of them.

I agree with that as well.

For me though it's just the power of electric motors. The batteries aren't there yet (I truly believe this), but my god are those things blisteringly quick. My Challenger Hellcat was fast, but a Tesla Model S fully loaded just smoked it off the line and up until 80 MPH at least.

The instant torque is just so unreal that nothing else can compare. So for me it's one of those things I would only own if I was just oozing with money.

That's if I could afford to pay someone else to service it you know. I can't afford that shit, not even close.

Reactions: Squatch
For me though it's just the power of electric motors. The batteries aren't there yet (I truly believe this), but my god are those things blisteringly quick. My Challenger Hellcat was fast, but a Tesla Model S fully loaded just smoked it off the line and up until 80 MPH at least.

The catch is it runs out of steam fast. Basically it's a stoplight drag racer, but that's it. Look up some of the road course tests, it's pathetic. After 1/2 mile or so of WOT it overheats and goes into limp mode. The batteries can only push that much juice for short bursts.

The catch is it runs out of steam fast. Basically it's a stoplight drag racer, but that's it. Look up some of the road course tests, it's pathetic. After 1/2 mile or so of WOT it overheats and goes into limp mode. The batteries can only push that much juice for short bursts.

I agree. Having raced them in my Hellcat, they start to lose steam at 60 MPH (for the fully optioned out Model S), and then the Hellcat overtakes them no problem.

Of course the kicker to that is how many of us are actually using our vehicles at high speeds? It's the off-the-line torque that's so addicting.

But yes, having owned a lot of electric things (electric RC cars, bikes, etc.), there's a lot of stuff you have to worry about with batteries. Overheating, losing charge fast (especially when racing), etc.

While I do think they make for good commuters, I think batteries are a long, long way off on replacing ICE engines for anything but in town driving.

A hybrid drivetrain is really the best option (though inherently complicated), but like others mentioned above, they're really missing out by not doing diesel electric hybrids.