Testing 70 year old motor oil

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
Project Farm is an interesting YouTube channel for nerdy gearheads like me. Here he runs a 70 year old can of Quaker State through several tests to see how it compares to modern engine oil.

Reactions: Chris and JEEPCJTJ
I just got off the phone with my wife where I mentioned that nothing new can be trusted. So much stuff was better when I was young, Christmas lights, toasters, washing machines, the list goes on.

Now I have to call her back and tell her about motor oil being much better today.

It should make her happy that I say I was wrong about something but I bet it won't.

Turns our technology has been helpful in some ways. Motor oil has come a long way when you look at modern day engines and their oil change frequency from back then. It's still weird to me to change the oil in my Focus ST at 10k miles, but it's a waste to do it sooner. My 4.0s all get 3k changes though especially since I drive them sparingly.

Reactions: Chris and qslim
Turns our technology has been helpful in some ways. Motor oil has come a long way when you look at modern day engines and their oil change frequency from back then. It's still weird to me to change the oil in my Focus ST at 10k miles, but it's a waste to do it sooner. My 4.0s all get 3k changes though especially since I drive them sparingly.
It took me awhile to get used to modern oil change intervals. The first was a 2000-something BMW 3-series with a 7500-mile interval, and driving the entirety of that interval made me grind my teeth. Now my Silverado interval is 10k I think, it's crazy.

Reactions: RobertJ