Texting and speeding: how to derail a TJ’s facelift

That sucks I have progressive a kid goes through red light hits a mini van pushes it onto my daughters car . come to find out he has progressive also , so then I was fighting my own insurance co
When I went to see my agent I told him the woman had State Farm he said they have teams that look for any reason to not pay the full amount. They said my car was to close to her? How does that cause her to roll back into me?

This morning I pulled in the driveway from dropping my daughter off at school and was waiting for my son to hop in to take him to school. Luckily, his ADD kept him from remembering his math homework so as he came back out the is was just in time to see my ‘99 Wrangler get plowed into from behind (thankfully I was in another vehicle in our driveway)! I get out of the car and my Jeep is sitting behind the vehicle I was in half on the curb and half in the street where it had met up with my neighbor’s car that is parked in the street. The impact pushed my Jeep 16’ feet and made it hope the curb. The kid driving the car bless his heart, hopefully learned a lesson this morning as I’m sure my 13 year old son did. Here’s some pics of the aftermath. The impact was mainly on the left side. I took photos of the rear wheel wells. It looks like the body is lift off of different part of the frame on both side...does it appear to y’all like the frame is torqued? The officers on scene were really cool one of the has a whole family of TJ’s JK’s and JL’s so he understood how I was feeling and jokingly offered to buy! Another officer affectionately said he passes my Jeep everyday and the best part was he when he was walking away to tell us bye he padded the spare wheel as if he was comforting her!

Thank for listening and looking!
Mark

View attachment 221726View attachment 221727View attachment 221728View attachment 221729View attachment 221730View attachment 221731View attachment 221732View attachment 221733View attachment 221734View attachment 221735View attachment 221736

I’m glad you weren’t satin it at the time. I moved to the US about 18 years ago just as I left the UK they brought in a complete ban on using cell phones and cars. You can only use full hands free. At the time I wasn’t very plus with the change in the law as it seemed a little big government to me however it didn’t take long for me to appreciate that it was probably the most sensible no change possible and it’s rigorously info enforced. I see SO many people texting and driving ...it’s just crazy.

Reactions: darkmavis
I’m getting to the point where I believe it would make sense that if it’s proven that an accident was caused by cell phone use, you’d loose your license for 6 months or so. And cell phone use as well.

Maybe then people would start taking driving/cell phone use seriously.

The kid that hit the OP’s Jeep admitted being on his phone and apparently isn’t aware that hitting a parked car was the least of what could have happened. What if he’d killed someone? Why should we be lenient in these circumstances?

Driving home from work a few years ago, there was a car turning left in the opposing lane. Right as I get close I see a sedan flying up behind it. I don't know for sure it was texting while driving, but it's a safe bet. This car was full stop with blinker on and a wide open straight road.

Apparently the driver noticed at the last second and swerved to miss. Luckily for them this was successful. Unlucky for me instead of heading for the empty shoulder they jumped right into my lane. Would have been a head on at a combined speed of at least 80mph, probably more like 100. But I swerved into the grass, barely missed the other car, slid across a lawn and took out a well built fence built on a short concrete wall that gutted my car. Literally, tore the radiator in half.

They drove off of course, I only had liability on my beater that was totaled so I got $0 from that.

Fun times.

I'd be all for a mandatory jail sentence. {INSERT SMARTPHONE RANT HERE}
Yes. Look at all the trouble the OP is going to have to go through just to get the Jeep fixed. There’s no compensation for that, he’ll be lucky to get his Jeep fixed or replaced.

What if the kid hurt or killed someone, do we seriously think any amount of money fixes that.

My best friend was a AAA adjuster and the he told me stories of people’ Injuries that could never be fixed by money.

Distracted driving (cell phones etc.) and drunk driving aren’t accidents, people decide to do those things. They should be responsible for their actions.

Don't get me started ranting about State Farm, the woman who backed into my 74 Corvette had State Farm.
About five years ago a drunk was texting and hit our son's brand new VW in the rear, parked in the street. State Farm insisted that we get it repaired, so we went back to the dealership and had it fixed. Two years later we went back to trade it in on a new Grand Cherokee. Dealer said it's trade in value had been reduced by $10k because it had been in a major accident. When I reminded them that they had fixed it, they said it didn't matter. I went back to State Farm and they said it was my fault because I had it repaired instead of totaled. I reminded them that they told me I had to get it repaired. They said it didn't matter.
Lessons learned 1. State Farm sucks; 2. If it has major damage, do not get it repaired. Make the insurance company replace it.

As we used to say in New Jersey when a friend's car was involved in a minor accident and the insurance company wouldn't "Total" it: "Sorry to hear about your car fire!" "Shhhh - that's NEXT week!"

As of 1/2021 here in Va, being seen holding a cell phone here gets you a ticket. If I was a Cop, I'd get a promotion with all the tickets I could write. :rolleyes:

p.s. I had my car parked on the street and heard a loud noise. When I came out, it had been sideswiped and tore up all the way down. They kept going and the Cops couldn't do anything.
Man. That’s the worse; there’s an empty feeling when it’s a hit and run. Having a phone in your hand illegal here in Texas as well. The kid did get a citation in this case. We live on the main drag in neighborhood and everyone flies down the street. Our HOA meeting is this week...I’m thinking about pushing for the speed bumps again; I can’t tell you how many times I yell at people to slow down.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
looks like your rear bumper and trailer hitch took the brunt of it

how straight do the body lines look..are the gaps all still the same, and even side to side

glad to hear nobody was injured from the accident..hope the kids parents have good insurance
Just judging by how the body is sitting on the frame it doesn’t look good

+1 on the frame being bent. Be prepared for insurance to total that.

It's a shame that such a nice Jeep was ruined by some dumb POS kid.
Yeah, I’m prepping myself for that...I’m going to fight this thing to get everything I can out of it.

About five years ago a drunk was texting and hit our son's brand new VW in the rear, parked in the street. State Farm insisted that we get it repaired, so we went back to the dealership and had it fixed. Two years later we went back to trade it in on a new Grand Cherokee. Dealer said it's trade in value had been reduced by $10k because it had been in a major accident. When I reminded them that they had fixed it, they said it didn't matter. I went back to State Farm and they said it was my fault because I had it repaired instead of totaled. I reminded them that they told me I had to get it repaired. They said it didn't matter.
Lessons learned 1. State Farm sucks; 2. If it has major damage, do not get it repaired. Make the insurance company replace it.
Similar thing happened to my neighbor he sued the insurance company for diminished value and won

That's about when it's time to lawyer up. They either get hit with a $10k bill or $10k plus lawyer's fees.

I doubt they will total that I hit a deer and pretty much required a new front clip plus paint insurance gave me $3400 for repairs on my 99 4cyl with 195k.

Got rear ended less than 5k miles later, waiting on the other parties insurance, my bet is it’ll get totaled and since I haven’t repaired the front yet due to it being winter I’m probably fucked in regards to having a decent payout.

I doubt they will total that I hit a deer and pretty much required a new front clip plus paint insurance gave me $3400 for repairs on my 99 4cyl with 195k.
Body damage on replaceable parts like front clip/fenders + paint is way different than frame straightening. Frame straightening will total out most vehicles besides very expensive new trucks.

Body damage on replaceable parts like front clip/fenders + paint is way different than frame straightening. Frame straightening will total out most vehicles besides very expensive new trucks.
This is true but that’s pretty minimal damage it could be just bumper brackets bent down can’t tell from pics would need to see bottom of rear frame horns looks like a new crossmember and some hammering and sone porta power work would be the worst of it.