Thank god for Arizona Jeeps

Jmac00

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
My Tj is 22 years old, has 91,000+ miles on it. I don't think its even been wet until we dragged it to New Yorkistan.

A couple days ago I replaced the shocks, and used all the old hardware. all the screws were in pristine condition. Even the upper rear shock bolts.
Today I replaced the tensioner arm, idler bearing and the belt. it came apart like it just left the factory. The tensioner had me worried, but the damn thing literally fell out when I removed it. I put a wire brush to the engine side, but it really didn't need it. I put some anti-seize on the face of the tensioner ( very little ) probably unnecessary, but WTH?

Put the belt back on, did the whole thing in an hour. Never done anything like this before

its fun working on these Jeeps

I feel the same way working on my CA Jeep. I watch youtube videos on how to do each project and in the videos they're rusted and require cutting and drilling and all this PIA work but then when I do the job on my Jeep it just comes apart like it was put together yesterday. Really thanking the people who told me not to give into the temptation to buy a cheap rusty Jeep.

Reactions: Jmac00
I'm glad you guys have it so easy. I have two that are easy to work on and one that is a rust bucket. That rust bucket is a big pain. Cut, cut, drill, drill, grind, grind, sand, sand, prep, prep, paint, paint, new hardware, anti-seize, then pray.

I'm glad you guys have it so easy. I have two that are easy to work on and one that is a rust bucket. That rust bucket is a big pain. Cut, cut, drill, drill, grind, grind, sand, sand, prep, prep, paint, paint, new hardware, anti-seize, then pray.

when we went ti Az to visit my Brother-n-law, the CO ( thats either Commanding Officer or Capt'n Obvious, depend in the circumstances ) spent 4 weeks looking for a jeep to tow behind the motorhome. But we found this one, less than 90,000 and in near perfect condition. and we got it for less than 14G's

I only have two things left, That I really need to get done. (1) change out the rubber body mounts, and (2) a tune up ~~~ ok three, I should replace the battery, it has a date of 1-77 on it, it might be time for a new one, LOL

when we went ti Az to visit my Brother-n-law, the CO ( thats either Commanding Officer or Capt'n Obvious, depend in the circumstances ) spent 4 weeks looking for a jeep to tow behind the motorhome. But we found this one, less than 90,000 and in near perfect condition. and we got it for less than 14G's

I only have two things left, That I really need to get done. (1) change out the rubber body mounts, and (2) a tune up ~~~ ok three, I should replace the battery, it has a date of 1-77 on it, it might be time for a new one, LOL

1-77! What? Sounds more like an Interstate (no pun intended).

If I listed everything wev’ve done so far to the Rubi it would be a long list. If I listed everything else we have to do it would be longer.

At least it was only $7500 and lockers work.

Strangely enough our Yj is a AZ vehicle. The frame and body are as good as it gets save some very light surface rust on the frame, but the front drive shaft looks like it maybe 50% of the original metal as well as a few other parts. Im thinking one of the PO's worked at a mine and drove thru a few puddles of Sulfuric one to many times. Just weird I thought.

I used to live in northeastern NJ, so I know the pain of rust...I'm definitely loving Jeeping in AZ now

we left New Yorkistan last November. I have lived in NY for 58 years, Im tired of the rust, the salt, but most of all, Im tired of moving snow, and of course the ridiculous taxes and regulations. We now reside in South Dakota, but we live in the RV and just travel to wherever it warmer, with the Jeep in tow.

I used to live in northeastern NJ, so I know the pain of rust...I'm definitely loving Jeeping in AZ now

kinda going from one extreme to the other, ain't ya, :eek:;) my brother-n-law lives in Scottsdale, 121° at his house yesterday, it looks like 110° at your place. I don't care what anyone says, thats freak'n hot