Thank you for the recommendation to install Rancho shocks

Nivek

I just wanted to thank all of you for recommending to install Rancho Shocks!!! Wow, what a difference!

I kept my current RC Springs at 2.5inch but swapped out the shocks for Rancho's - Fantastic upgrade!

Put a 3/4 inch spacer in the front due to the bumper and winch (another great recommendation)!

And finally got rid of my old Westin Tubular side steps and replaced them with the Body Armor Rock Crawler side guards, love the look much better!

Next upgrades will be looking at 17 inch Rubicon Wheels and new Seat Covers.

Thanks again
Nivek

Kevins Jeep_Side Stance_Rancho Shocks_Front Leveled_Body Armor Rock Rails.jpeg

Kevins Jeep_Side Stance_RC Shiocks_Front Lower than Rear_Westin Tubular side steps.jpeg

Fun to hear. Glad the forum is helpful so far.

If you're serious about selling those current 16" wheels, I might be interested. Just sent you a PM.

Fun to hear. Glad the forum is helpful so far.

If you're serious about selling those current 16" wheels, I might be interested. Just sent you a PM.
SSTJ,
Yes, this forum is great! I'm mostly a lurker and learner, but if I have something of value to share down the road I will post it in hopes it will help others.

Not sure if you asked me about the wheels before or not, but I have about 3 people who already asked me about this many months ago when I was doing my research on upgrading my jeep. I have not even located potential replacement wheels/tires yet. But I will put you on my list of people to get back to if I decide to sell them.

Thanks

How does it ride compare to whatever shock came off of it? OEM like....or better?

How does it ride compare to whatever shock came off of it? OEM like....or better?
At the end of the day it's still a short wheel base lifted jeep so I doesn't ride like a car, But, the big difference is when you hit an expansion joint or break in the road it doesn't rattle your teeth out now! LOL! Now I can approach a speed bump in the city slow down and it rolls over it nicely. Before it would jolt me. The old shocks were Rough Country -from everything I read they are too stiff and I agree. I can honestly say the Rough Country Front stabilizer is great - no death wobble at all 60,65,70,75 - no change.

At the end of the day it's still a short wheel base lifted jeep so I doesn't ride like a car, But, the big difference is when you hit an expansion joint or break in the road it doesn't rattle your teeth out now! LOL! Now I can approach a speed bump in the city slow down and it rolls over it nicely. Before it would jolt me. The old shocks were Rough Country -from everything I read they are too stiff and I agree. I can honestly say the Rough Country Front stabilizer is great - no death wobble at all 60,65,70,75 - no change.
Glad the shocks worked out! I like my Rancho’s too.

FYI, the steering damper doesn’t have anything to do with death wobble.

🍻

Reactions: Nivek and imahnu
FYI, the steering damper doesn’t have anything to do with death wobble.
X2, the steering stabilizer is never the cure for nor the cause of DW. It can sometimes mask the symptoms temporarily but it's like trying hold down an angry gorilla. At some point the angry gorilla is going to win the wrestling match.

Reactions: Nivek and imahnu
I ordered a set of Rancho shocks for my Jeep a couple days ago, so when I put them on this week, I can't wait to feel the ride quality difference. I have OEM shocks from the looks of it and they don't work at all anymore. Any little bump in the road feels like being in Star Trek when a torpedo hits the ship.
IMG_20220209_130231.jpg

This is what I bought.

Rancho RS5000X

Looking at getting a Bilstein Steering dampener at some point possibly.
No need to spend much money on a steering damper. It’s a simple equal dual valve shock. Monroe makes a very cheap $25 one that is sufficient, though some say the paint won’t hold up so rough it up and give it a couple coats. If you don’t want to mess with that Rubicon Express sells one for about $40 that has a good paint job. Not going to make a difference in ride quality.

Reactions: Noreaster1967
No need to spend much money on a steering damper. It’s a simple equal dual valve shock. Monroe makes a very cheap $25 one that is sufficient, though some say the paint won’t hold up so rough it up and give it a couple coats. If you don’t want to mess with that Rubicon Express sells one for about $40 that has a good paint job. Not going to make a difference in ride quality.
Thanks for the advice, I'll give this serious thought before I decide on what to do. Yeah, my Jeep is like a bouncy castle right now inside while on pavement and steering is a bit floaty, so right now all the rusty OEM shocks are going, then I'll either replace the track bar and bushings, or maybe the bushings alone would be sufficient, not sure TBH.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give this serious thought before I decide on what to do. Yeah, my Jeep is like a bouncy castle right now inside while on pavement and steering is a bit floaty, so right now all the rusty OEM shocks are going, then I'll either replace the track bar and bushings, or maybe the bushings alone would be sufficient, not sure TBH.
You should test each part of your steering rather than just throw parts at it. Most tests are easy and free.

Test your trackbar at the axle and frame mounts. Should not be any left to right play. Do a 10-2 steering test to evaluate.

Tie rod ends could be shot.

A ZJ steering upgrade with tie rods would cover most of your steering

Do you have a dropped pitman arm. Get rid of that and go back to stock.

Reactions: Noreaster1967
This is what I bought.

Rancho RS5000X

Looking at getting a Bilstein Steering dampener at some point possibly.
As others have said, don't waste your money on a name. I've got a brand new Monroe you can have for the cost of shipping. I ordered 1, and they sent me 1 box of 4. The only thing it didn't come with was the boot.
If you really want to upgrade your steering, take JMT's advice and do the ZJ upgrade. You'll be glad you did.

You should test each part of your steering rather than just throw parts at it. Most tests are easy and free.

Test your trackbar at the axle and frame mounts. Should not be any left to right play. Do a 10-2 steering test to evaluate.

Tie rod ends could be shot.

A ZJ steering upgrade with tie rods would cover most of your steering

Do you have a dropped pitman arm. Get rid of that and go back to stock.
All I know for certain at this moment is I had a guy in my shop check the track bar while I moved the wheel and he said it had some play but I don't think I have anything aftermarket on the Jeep other than the radio. Pic I took the other day at work when I put my Jeep on a lift (Apologies for the terrible image quality)

I'm still new to Jeep but more specifically older Jeeps :)

IMG_20220210_175808.jpg