Thanks for all the knowledge

Artemis

TJ Enthusiast
I am so jealous of the knowledge you guys all have! But thank you so much for sharing it. I've never worked on any vehicle other than my Monday morning motorpool PMCS. So I am trying to learn how to do some things. But I do find myself lost in the lingo lol.

I ran the endoscope in my frame today and it really didn't look bad at all. There was some surface rust, but no true peeling or scaling. Only the bottom of the frame box had any rust and the other 3 sides were still black. This was the back half of the frame. The front half has hardly any rust at all. O and only factory holes in the frame. So always a plus there.

I didn't try to remove the skid plate bolts, but they looked intact, rusted of course but not horrible. Everything looked pretty decent. So in a couple of months, maybe spring, I'm going to tackle what rust I have so I know I'll have questions for everyone!

Thanks again for being able to pick your brain!

I feel the same way you can really get answers quick on here.

Reactions: Artemis
Thanks for being one of the only female TJ members on here besides @Kathy (well, that I know of at least!).

It would be cool to see more women driving TJs, I have to admit.

Put some Eastwood Internal Frame Coating inside your frame like @Westtown Willy did, and you won't have to worry about your frame completely rotting from the inside out!

If I lived where you lived, I would have some sort of Winter beater that I didn't mind getting rusted. The TJ would sit until there was no salt left on the roads for sure.

It really pisses me off that these a-holes use salt on the-roads. It's not just bad for our frames, it's bad for other stuff too, including the environment.

If I lived where you lived, I would have some sort of Winter beater that I didn't mind getting rusted. The TJ would sit until there was no salt left on the roads for sure.

It really pisses me off that these a-holes use salt on the-roads. It's not just bad for our frames, it's bad for other stuff too, including the environment.
The salt is crazy sometimes. And that damn beet juice is just as bad. You really have to pretreat your new vehicle when you buy one. But a lot of people don't or either do it one time and never bother with retreating and maintenance.

If people actually drove properly in snow, you wouldn't need salt, just some sand. But for some reason, people think they need to drive like idiots.

The salt is crazy sometimes. And that damn beet juice is just as bad. You really have to pretreat your new vehicle when you buy one. But a lot of people don't or either do it one time and never bother with retreating and maintenance.

If people actually drove properly in snow, you wouldn't need salt, just some sand. But for some reason, people think they need to drive like idiots.

Yep, it's the idiots who ruin it for the rest of us. Recently they said ODOT was going to start salting the major highways in Portland, Oregon when it snows.

They've never done that in the history of Oregon as far as I'm aware. Either way, since we live 50 minutes away from Portland, I took a mental note never to drive in Portland when it's snowing.

Still, even though we don't have salt down here, I still use Fluid Film and Eastwood Internal Frame Coating. I'd rather be safe than sorry, even if we don't have to deal with salt!

I am so jealous of the knowledge you guys all have! But thank you so much for sharing it. I've never worked on any vehicle other than my Monday morning motorpool PMCS. So I am trying to learn how to do some things. But I do find myself lost in the lingo lol.

I ran the endoscope in my frame today and it really didn't look bad at all. There was some surface rust, but no true peeling or scaling. Only the bottom of the frame box had any rust and the other 3 sides were still black. This was the back half of the frame. The front half has hardly any rust at all. O and only factory holes in the frame. So always a plus there.

I didn't try to remove the skid plate bolts, but they looked intact, rusted of course but not horrible. Everything looked pretty decent. So in a couple of months, maybe spring, I'm going to tackle what rust I have so I know I'll have questions for everyone!

Thanks again for being able to pick your brain!
I have to be rude :)
This thread is worthless without pics Before and After!

Reactions: Chris
Lol her spot in the garage!

IMG_20181116_092932001.jpg

Reactions: Squatch and TJ2
I think the rear shocks bolts up to the tub needs to be looked at, rust hides up there so hidden you don't see them easy.
View attachment 63756
O thanks and I'll check that too. If I can get the endoscope to take pictures I will, but so far I've had no luck. I simply bought a cheap $20 one from Amazon. Only because I was curious what might be hiding.

Reactions: Chris and KCsTJ
I've been wrenching on various vehicles for going on 40 years. (Yeah, I'm old).
But I have never found a forum as willing to help as this one. I have yet to see the smarmy "Let me google that for you" link, or other denegration when asking a question that has no doubt been covered several times before..
I just can't figure out if this place saves me money, or costs me money!
Probably the latter!:Saeufer:

I have to agree with this being a more than excellent site. Old guy here that likes to know as much as I can about anything I own. I purchased my first Jeep, 20 year old TJ a few months back. Because of this forum I most likely know as much about it now as my first 56 Chevy street racer after a year of trial and error years ago.

Reading not only articles about what I have or am dealing with now to get it up in shape, but what might come up in the next 10-20 years and stay ahead of problems. Yes, I plan on owning it that long, want and need to keep it going.

Thank all of you for posting every thing, all the big rig modified things and all the little things that us DD drivers of stockers can use.

My gained knowledge from this forum is priceless. I kept what I learned here inside my OEM brain and so knowledge well spent.

A little warning: when the guys in this forum says your 2" lift will rub, watch out!

When someone talks about negative angle of your "caster", you are already dug in so deep.

And when Chris starts his comment with the word "If"... sigh.

By the way, check your OPDA.

Last edited: