The Bargain Box

Bargain Box

Stand back, I built this s*** myself...
Supporting Member
I bought my first car in 2000 and it was an 89 XJ. I installed some basic mods and I had a blast off roading in it. I followed that with a 97 TJ and this is where I really fell in love. I sold it in 2005 and now I'm back at it with this 99 TJ that I got at a great price. True to its name, this build is an attempt at the cheapest, swap meet, bargain box Jeep for fun. By cheapest I mean best deal not crap components to be clear. I purchased it from a high school kid who did not take care of it. The first part of the build has been catching up on lack of maintenance, neglect, improper components, etc. The goal of the build is to make a flexible and capable TJ while spending the least amount of money. Uhwarrie is where I plan on taking it regularly with ultimate plans of Blue Ridge mountain trail runs. Below is a picture of the day I bought it.

Build goals:
- best flexible lift setup for 33's (Following the recipe for an affordable but quality 2.5 lift)
- regear and lockers
- POR15 undercarriage
- seat swap
- adjustable control arms
- SYE and DC shaft

20210828_122534.jpg

Last edited:
Below is a list of all that I could find wrong.

COOLING SYSTEM
- overheating (fixed)
- leaking water pump (new factory water pump installed)
- leaking radiator (new ebay special radiator)
SEALS
- leaking front pinion seal (replaced seal)
- both diff covers leaking (serviced both diffs, new gaskets and oil)
- valve cover leaking (replaced)
DRIVELINE
- shifter is sloppy (rebuilt shift tower)
- release bearing noises (replaced)
- clutch chatter on shifts (replaced bad flywheel and clutch)
- strange whining coming from front end (passenger side hub replaced)
- play in the driveline (found spider and planetary gears were toast. Replaced with new pinion gears.)

- winch doesn't work (installed new winch from warranty claim)
- light bar doesn't work (found a wire loose on pcb, soldered it back. Works now and is for sale)
- wheels to narrow for tires (replaced 15x7 with 15x8)
- mismatch spare (full size spare with matching rim installed)
- e-brake doesn't work (adjusted rear drum set screws and a few turns on e-brake adjuster)
- ingnition system issue causing sluggish starts and knock (replaced bad plugs, wires, rotor, and cap)
- no heat (flushed heater core, it's warmish now. Still not great.)

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Looks like a lot of fun and not too difficult a fix outside of a few things.

Nearly twenty years ago I bought a base model 86 Fiero off Ebay for $75. Drove it into the ground. It was towed because I had it parked on the street too long and I told them to keep it. 😁

While replacing all the leaking seals in the driveline, I found what was making all the racket in the driveline. Replaced planetary and spider gears. Before and after videos below. A lot of slop!

Attachments

• 20210909_205349.mp4
    35.7 MB
  • 20210911_214938.mp4
    24.9 MB
The winch control box was damaged causing the wires inside to be frayed. Also, two of the rollers on the farlead didn't work. Contacted smittybilt and they honored the warranty in full and shipped a new winch! Shout out to Smittybilt!
20211125_104153.jpg
20210917_134045.jpg
20210917_134051.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: JMT and TJ Starting
Nice work. I also got a deal on mine from a dude who had neglected it for years. There’s something satisfying about bringing it back and feeling confident about reliability on the road and trails.

Nice work. I also got a deal on mine from a dude who had neglected it for years. There’s something satisfying about bringing it back and feeling confident about reliability on the road and trails.
Agreed, it's a whole new jeep since I started a few months ago. Very satisfying.