The competent vs actual install time thread

InOmaha

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Like everything, the more you do something the better and faster you get. Usually, about the time I get to the point I'm reasonably competent at something, I'm finished with it and have lost the skill the next time I need to use it. House wiring, bathroom tile, drywall, etc.

In the car mechanic world they have approximate times it takes to complete a job to make sure one of the guys in the shop isn't spending 4 hours replacing a battery. Most of the time I'm not close to the sorts of repair speed records the shop guys need to meet to be considered a competent mechanic. I normally have something stuck, broken off, one part missing and I've lost my wrench I just laid down next to me. Many times there's an odd fastener or so sitting there too, or worse something critical that requires taking things apart again and putting that piece where it belongs.

So what jobs have you done where people say, "It's easy and only took me and hour" and you manage to spend the entire afternoon and evening to get it done? Before posting online that it was easy and only took you an hour.

I'm starting my lift that includes a 1" Body lift, 1" motor lift, front and rear adjustable trackbars, springs, shocks, etc. I'm going try an remember to break each down and see how long that 30 min, one hour, 1/2 day job took me. I tend to be detail oriented and try to slow down to think ahead so I always budget twice the time required and never start a project after 2 pm on a Sunday unless it's an emergency.

My guess is I get all the bolts out except the last one and blow the whole time budget on that. Like the great where the hell did I drop that bolt in the engine bay fiasco that involved an hour or two, a flashlight, and a magnetic retrieval tool.

Signed! One thing I will say is that I do pick up general knowledge and skills during each specialty task that I can apply to other specialty tasks going forward. Anyway I enjoy the learning part which helps.

I budgeted extra time to check my bumpstops when I installed body and spring lift. I would recommend it as worth your while.

As of now, I've spent 6 hours buying, stripping, painting and prep for as of yet uninstalled rock sliders.

New part, install, 30 min job. Plus 10 hours of reading Jeep forums and Amazon reviews.

Yeah, I feel you. Ask my wife about my complete DIY remodel of a house we had in FL. Tile, drywall, plumbing, electrical. All up to code! Took 1.5 years! A contractor would have been done been done in 4 months

When we got to UT a few years back I decided to build an12x24 gambrel roof shed with a porch with my own plans from scratch. Took 6 months. A shed company would have had it done in a week.

I used to fix cars for a living so I’m pretty good automotive-wise, but like everything else it’s a perishable skill. I just got a new set of ball joints in, I’m sure it’ll probably take an entire weekend when the guy down the street would have it done by noon.

The way I see it the satisfaction of doing it yourself completely negates the time spent. If you’re up against a wall & have to get it done fast pay a professional.

Nuts. Like "Mr. Scott", I always multiply my repair estimates by a factor of four - except I actually mean it! I always budget a half day for a 30 minute job...

Rule #1. That wrench you just set down and can't find anywhere? You're sitting on it.
Rule #2. It always takes two trips to the hardware/parts/whatever store, I don't care how much "just in case" stuff you buy the first time you go there.
Rule #3. Said store will either be closed, or be out of stock of what you need the second time...
Rule #4. If you've never taken it apart before, you'll waste an amazing amount of time figuring it out, removing stuff you didn't have to, or fighting to get it off because there's one more fastener that you didn't know about, you can't get to it, and its hidden out of sight! Which is why I ask tons of stupid questions ahead of time and/or youtube even simple things now. Sometimes, all that research actually pays off!
Rule #5. Its always faster to go get the correct tool, and/or part than it is to make what we have on hand work. So why do we all sit there trying to make something work even when the correct tool/widget/part is only a few steps away?

I remember working at a Toyota dealership in the early 2000's, me & another mechanic had a competition changing a timing belt & water pump on a couple of 4 cyl Camrys. Our times were around the 20 minute mark, & job paid something like 3 hours. But, we'd done it a million times, had all our wrenches & sockets lined up in the order we'd have to use them... If I had to do it now it'd take me all day.

If I had to do it now it'd take me all day.
I did a rear axle brake job on my TJ a couple of weeks ago. It had been about 25 years since I'd last done anything with drum brakes. The first wheel took me 3 hours elapsed time, plus an over nite because of rule #3 (out of stock on 2nd trip to store). The second one took me 45 minutes!

• Haha
Reactions: InOmaha and qslim
I was working on something the other day and put my wrench away in my tool drawer. Who puts stuff away while they are working? I looked on every bench and under every car.

I did a rear axle brake job on my TJ a couple of weeks ago. It had been about 25 years since I'd last done anything with drum brakes. The first wheel took me 3 hours elapsed time, plus an over nite because of rule #3 (out of stock on 2nd trip to store). The second one took me 45 minutes!
Perishable skill! When you do it again in ten years you'll be back to square 1. I used to load weapons in the USAF, we'd practice all the time, had time standards, it was nothing but drill drill drill. I could load 30 weapons overnight & finish the paperwork in time to go home early. If I had to do that today I might get through two bombs. @MountaineerTom knows what I'm talking about.

It took me about 6 hours to change my tie rod ends. Why you ask?

Well, it took about an hour to get the off the pitman arm and knuckles. Okay. Glad that's done right. Just loosen the ends and put the new ones on. Well, living half a block from the ocean for 2 years mean that those were rusted in. I was finally able to get them off by putting vice grips on the end and the tie rod and using a sledge to rotate the tie rod 5 degrees at a time.

No second car meant I couldn't just drive to the parts store to pick up a new one. And it was a holiday weekend so Uber was expensive and would require showing to prevent a charge for grease stains.

Anyway. Now I have a currie setup

Reactions: InOmaha
When I did my body lift it probably took me no more than an hour and a half, did it right before the sun went down. Then the next morning i installed the motor mounts spacers and that took maybe about 2 hours. Keep in mind this was done using all hand tools and on an uneven driveway.

OME lift kit took me about 9 hours to install myself. I had previously installed coil spacers up front so i was at least aware of how to remove the coils.

Reactions: InOmaha
I repaired my daughters brake system after she drove 6 miles with the e-brake on. She called me and asked why the car smelled like it was on fire. I asked if she was outside and she said she was driving. The brake fluid looked like coffee. That was 1 year after replacing the front calipers.

I took one rear tire off with the tire jack wedged between the frame and a wood block on the rim. I think it welded the tire to the drum.

Break job, 8 hours.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: reddvltj
Perishable skill! When you do it again in ten years you'll be back to square 1. I used to load weapons in the USAF, we'd practice all the time, had time standards, it was nothing but drill drill drill. I could load 30 weapons overnight & finish the paperwork in time to go home early. If I had to do that today I might get through two bombs. @MountaineerTom knows what I'm talking about.

(y) Oh yeah. It's been 10 years this year since I retired and I'm sure it would take me a little bit to get certified again. LOL

Reactions: qslim and InOmaha