The days are coming to and end...

Well look who came out of hibernation. I been piecing it back together and replacing worn stuff little by little. It doesn't help that it's been freezing out but my kerosene heater in my closed car port allows me to get some things done.

So far I've replaced ball joints, steering, brake pads, rotors, calipers, front shocks, anti-freeze, thermostat, trans fluid, header panel, trans mount, and some other crap.

Wheels are pointing in at each other which makes for some funky driving manners, especially in snow but I'll fix that with an alignment soon.
blind jeep.jpg

Next on the list are the dreaded upper bolts...

rusty2.jpg

Gonna be fun....

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Always nice to see you, but how do you keep getting these vehicles that need a lot of work?

Always nice to see you, but how do you keep getting these vehicles that need a lot of work?

$800 and 103k miles. It was hard to pass up and I needed a beater to save the 4runner from winter's wrath.

It just turns out it needed more than the eye could see but I don't mind it. It's a nice way to "get away" and relieve stress.

Reactions: JMT and StG58
$800 and 103k miles. It was hard to pass up and I needed a beater to save the 4runner from winter's wrath.

It just turns out it needed more than the eye could see but I don't mind it. It's a nice way to "get away" and relieve stress.
Good buy. I’d have bought it for that price. True about relieving stress!

I already replaced it with a beautiful woman i met. :D She actually made me forget about jeeps and it takes ALOT to do that. She is a ton of fun and just amazing to be around.

I have a 4runner with a factory rear locker that is super capable so i will be fine with that.
This is an old thread, but just curious Ahoragi: "is she a keeper" or you got bored and dumped here real quick ! Are you back to earth?

Well look who came out of hibernation. I been piecing it back together and replacing worn stuff little by little. It doesn't help that it's been freezing out but my kerosene heater in my closed car port allows me to get some things done.

So far I've replaced ball joints, steering, brake pads, rotors, calipers, front shocks, anti-freeze, thermostat, trans fluid, header panel, trans mount, and some other crap.

Wheels are pointing in at each other which makes for some funky driving manners, especially in snow but I'll fix that with an alignment soon. View attachment 28324

Next on the list are the dreaded upper bolts...

View attachment 28326

Gonna be fun....
Ahoragi - There are a couple of simple fixes for upper shock bolts on a Cherokee.

Rough Country

Bleepin Jeep (not a fix but a neat alteration)

Your XJ is coming along nicely. Have fun with it!

Last edited:
Oh man, those upper bolts won’t be fun.

I must be good at this...

rusty bolts.jpg

The 4th one is still up there with a rounded head. I am not giving up on it though. I need to shave it down a little so the next smaller size bolt remover socket fits over it and hopefully my impact cranks it out too.

Reactions: Mike_H and Chris
Wow! We’re those 3 hard to get out or not?

The bolt heads were flaking off so I could not fit a normal socket on them. I had to buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CCXVZ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It fits over the stripped or damaged head and locks on. I used it with a 1/2" extension and 1/2" to 3/8" adapter. I ran the impact gun real careful, forward and back, so I did not put too much force on them and they spun right out. The last one on the passenger side is in such an odd position that I cannot get an extension on it long enough to run the impact. The axle is in the way so I plan to droop the axle as far as possible and see what I can do. Otherwise I will have to drill the head off and punch the nut out.

Reactions: Chris
The bolt heads were flaking off so I could not fit a normal socket on them. I had to buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CCXVZ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It fits over the stripped or damaged head and locks on. I used it with a 1/2" extension and 1/2" to 3/8" adapter. I ran the impact gun real careful, forward and back, so I did not put too much force on them and they spun right out. The last one on the passenger side is in such an odd position that I cannot get an extension on it long enough to run the impact. The axle is in the way so I plan to droop the axle as far as possible and see what I can do. Otherwise I will have to drill the head off and punch the nut out.

I've got one of those tools, they work great for things like this... good thinking! Hopefully you don't have too much trouble getting the last one off. I know which one you're talking about, and it took me a long ass extension and some crafty hand work.

I went through 3 different sets of those trying to get a lock lug nut off my TJ that did not come with a key...finally found a set from the UK on amazon that used a reverse thread inside the socket. It was in so tight I actually broke my vise in half trying to extract the lug nut from it.

And finally the 4th is free...sorta. I had to cut the shock rod, bar pin, and then the head of the bolt to remove the remaining piece of the bar pin so I could spray it with some of my trusty can of magical powers, which ran out on this last bolt. :oops: Once it broke loose then it was very easy to unscrew.

20180125_005210.jpg
20180125_010103.jpg

I'm relieved but still got a ton of work to do.

Shocks
invent new exhaust hangers
Evap hose to gas tank
VC gasket
fluids (again)
Plugs
misc tune up crap

Reactions: StG58
Reactions: Bird