The "don't be this guy" thread

Years ago this guy David worked with my friend whose name was also David. My friend finally got him to go snowmobiling with us.

Well I found out why David was a little reluctant to go snowmobiling with us. The last time he had gone with some guys they went to an area he had never been.

He got hurt (broken leg) they kept going, never checked on him. They loaded up and left lucky for him some other guys happened by to help him out.

What kind of assholes does that?

I told David we are assholes but not that kind.

Years ago this guy David worked with my friend whose name was also David. My friend finally got him to go snowmobiling with us.

Well I found out why David was a little reluctant to go snowmobiling with us. The last time he had gone with some guys they went to an area he had never been.

He got hurt (broken leg) they kept going, never checked on him. They loaded up and left lucky for him some other guys happened by to help him out.

What kind of assholes does that?

I told David we are assholes but not that kind.
That’s really bad - a whole different level of asshole. Number one rule of offroading (any kind): Watch for the guy behind you. If you don’t see him, you stop. Period.

Last time out at JV heading back to camp from doing sledgehammer we came across a group of 4 vehicles stopped. They wave us down. All of them young as in no one over 20 and as young as 16. One of them had been "building" his truck not for the rocks but for speed. Turns out that he hit a small rock, busted a knuckle, and flattened a tire. Not one of the guys between them had any tools or a jack and he didn't even have a spare. Listen, playing in JV is fun but you have to be prepared for the inevitable. They didn't even have enough MacGyver in them to figure out what to do.

Since we were on our way back to camp we figured it out for them and had them towable in about 30 minutes. The offroad community can help but man you have to be prepared for at least the basics.
I quit wheeling with a gent over that type shit. We wound up down at Truckhaven, stopped for a bit to look around. I walked over to chat a bit and noticed his rig was completely empty. Nothing, no water, no food, no tools, no parts and he had a medical need that required him to take some medicine.

That’s really bad - a whole different level of asshole. Number one rule of offroading (any kind): Watch for the guy behind you. If you don’t see him, you stop. Period.
David told me his mistake was going with a group that he didn't know, he only sort of knew one guy. I told him doesn't matter if someone goes with us they are with us period.

We had gone way up north to Madawaska, Maine to sled. So we get to the place were staying, start unloading our sleds from the trailer. There is a group of Massholes getting their sleds off trailers, and the back of pick ups. Then we hear some very load bullshit about brands of sleds etc. So a group of guys grab what looks like a brand new Ski-Doo off the platform on the back of the pick up. Then they drop it, I don't think it did any damage.

We walk over to the guy he was pissed I would've beat the shit out of someone, he said they started bad mouthing his Ski-Doo then they said let unload it.

He said I'm heading back to Massachusetts, I told him that is a good idea you don't want to ride with assholes like that. He got into his pickup backed it into a snowbank then drove his sled onto the pickup. Then off he went.

Thankfully shit like that is rare, but it happens.

• Wow
Reactions: Zorba
My first time in Moab, I’m running Golden Spike with a group during EJS. We‘re six or so hours in, out in the middle of nowhere, getting late in the day, and that guy in the group breaks half way up a small climb. The trail leader and I climb under the rig to see what broke, and quickly see that all four control arm mounts had ripped off the rear axle. The worst carnage I’ve ever seen.

But the cause was very easy to see: the absolute worst booger welds I‘ve ever seen. Talking to that guy he was very proud to say that he built the rig himself, including doing all the welding. He had no business welding an antenna mount much less doing suspension work.

But he did turn out to be a good that guy. My rig is a rolling fab shop, and the trail leader an I told that guy we could stay behind and get him back on the trial, but because of how bad things were we were going to have to completely cut off all the old mounts and custom fab new mounts from scratch (I had the raw steel to do so), and repair his destroyed driveshaft, but it was going to take 3 or 4 hours.

He graciously told us he did not want to impact our run, and asked instead for a ride back to town and he would have the local shop come out the next day and get him home. I can’t imagine the bill for that trail rescue.

That guy had no tools, no spare parts, and no business doing suspension work. But, he did give us a great story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman