The grass is greener, get the F out of your home state thread

Look into Northwest Arkansas, lots of jobs, decent pay, outdoor activities galore. Anyplace from Bentonville, south to Fayetteville. Its a giant metro now days. I was born and raised here in Southwest Missouri but I have a traveled a lot. I would move to the lake area in a minute. Beaver Lake or parts of Table Rock away from the tourist crowds. Jobs just depend on your tolerance for commuting. We have "mountains" they are just smaller than the ones out west. Winter is mild here too. But we do get some snow from time to time.

Reactions: Rick Flair and ejay
i shoulda been gone from Ohio 3yrs ago. i'm tired of the long grey sky cold winters. long time ago i used to tell my mom i'm gonna buy a horse and move to the mountains in CO. and disappear. i still have the dream but i traded up from the horse to a Jeep.

Look into Northwest Arkansas, lots of jobs, decent pay, outdoor activities galore. Anyplace from Bentonville, south to Fayetteville. Its a giant metro now days. I was born and raised here in Southwest Missouri but I have a traveled a lot. I would move to the lake area in a minute. Beaver Lake or parts of Table Rock away from the tourist crowds. Jobs just depend on your tolerance for commuting. We have "mountains" they are just smaller than the ones out west. Winter is mild here too. But we do get some snow from time to time.

I've been thinking about retiring in the Ozarks area. Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas. When I get to retirement age, I'll count how many teeth I have left and make my decision on which state. 🤪

I've been thinking about retiring in the Ozarks area. Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas. When I get to retirement age, I'll count how many teeth I have left and make my decision on which state. 🤪
see that's just it for me i don't wanna wait till i'm of age to retire, it ain't 65 no more like our parents. i tell my woman every day i won't quit my job , that'd be foolish. but if they let me go tomrrow, i load out my chit with a fat ass grin on my face........come home and start packin.

Moved to Reno, NV a year ago from San Jose, CA. Love it. Everyone says it's too close to CA but it's not. People are nicer, weather is not as nice but not crazy. Because of CA fires Reno is a bowl, smoke gets trapped in which sucks but usually blows out in a day or two. You get all 4 seasons, was 12 degrees last winter at the lowest where we are but the air is different, so didn't feel like 12 degrees. Pay is lower yes, but so is housing and cost of living in general. Lots of mountains in every direction and you can pretty much Jeep or ride motorcycles or shoot in any direction out here.
Tahoe is 45 minutes away and is a great getaway on the weekends. We go there for lunch on Saturdays just because, it's great.

Only real down side right now is the Governor. He's a Dem who is pretty much imitating Newsom on Covid and shut downs and all that. First time in 30 years or so Nevada has had a Dem for a Governor. Hopefully things won't change too much or he gets voted out. He tweeted for everyone to have a great Veterans Day 4 days ago, thanking our troops for their service.....yeah, Labor Day and all.

Anyway, PM me if you have any questions about Northern NV. I've only been here for a year but can tell ya what I know.

Cheers!

Scott

Reactions: mrjp and Chris

While that's still true for most of rural Arkansas, and Missouri for that matter, you would be surprised at the makeup of NWA, lots of transplants, and lots of high end everything due to Walmart and other large corporations creating white collar jobs.

Heading to Mount Magazine with the wife and another couple for her birthday this weekend. Making a stop at Byrd's Adventure Center for some offroading too. Beautiful part of the world that gets overlooked by coastal folks. I will try to do a trip report on it.

It is hard getting honest answers from the source in regard to conditions of the other side of the fence.

My family and I have been trying to get out of California for some time now. It's hard without a job market that will suit both my wife and my own professions.

Pretty clear that some States just don't want us. (Not that I can blame them from a surface level) Shoot, I tried to lateral to Oregon for years without success. Even mentioned (when asked how serious I was as an applicant) that I literally drove 1000 miles for the interview.

My list is as follows.

Wyoming
Montana
Idaho
Utah
Northern Nevada
Northern Arizona
South Dakota
Nebraska

What I'm looking for is an on the ground report of the conditions of the job market, weather, stuff to do, cost of living, cost of housing, schooling, and recreation.

Believe me when I say that if I haven't traveled there personally, I've exhausted the YouTube and internet research resources available. Don't know what to believe these days.

We moved to Utah a few years ago & really like it so far. Northern Utah has tons of employment opportunities from tech to manufacturing, but home prices have skyrocketed here recently & there are shitloads of people moving in.

Outdoor recreation is just superb - hiking, fishing, hunting, 4-wheeling, boating... Everything's within an hour or less. I absolutely love that part. The LDS scene takes a little getting used to, but Mormons are nice enough folks I guess. They mow their lawns & take care of their neighborhoods.

I can't comment on whether or not this is a good place to retire as we'll only be here a little while longer before I take another free move from my company to go check out the next place, but I'm happy with the time we've spent here.

Edit: I will tell you that a LOT of people I know here are planning to retire in Idaho. Part of that is Utah's tax strategy when it comes to military retirement, I think the other part of that is that you can buy beer & liquor like a normal person & not get a sideways glance from your server at a restaurant when you try to order a beer without food in front of you.

Last edited:
Reactions: ejay
The panhandle would be my first choice as far as Florida goes. Inland, of course!

We spent about a decade on the panhandle right there around Destin and really really liked it. The redneck riviera is something to behold and we were really big fans.

Reactions: Zorba
FYI for me, Texas is not on my list. We have friends that moved there. They seem to like it, I guess. My sister lives near Austin too.

I need mountains. And I'm not trading hot summer days for even hotter summer days.

I feel the same way about Texas ejay. My company is based in FtW and I travel there a few times of year to return to the mothership. I'm always glad to leave & have passed up more than a few pretty good employment opportunities! I think I got spoiled by always living either near the ocean or the mountains. Texas to me is just flat, boring, & hot.

Reactions: ejay
While that's still true for most of rural Arkansas, and Missouri for that matter, you would be surprised at the makeup of NWA, lots of transplants, and lots of high end everything due to Walmart and other large corporations creating white collar jobs.

Heading to Mount Magazine with the wife and another couple for her birthday this weekend. Making a stop at Byrd's Adventure Center for some offroading too. Beautiful part of the world that gets overlooked by coastal folks. I will try to do a trip report on it.

Please do, we are still looking at North Eastern Arkansas as our number one choice.

When I lived in KC, I swear the border war was still going on. The jokes and rivalries were strong.

You know the toothbrush was invented in Missouri? If it was invented anywhere else it would be called a teethbrush.

What do you do when a KU grad rings the doorbell? Pay for the pizza.

Reactions: Zorba
When I lived in KC, I swear the border war was still going on. The jokes and rivalries were strong.

You know the toothbrush was invented in Missouri? If it was invented anywhere else it would be called a teethbrush.

What do you do when a KU grad rings the doorbell? Pay for the pizza.

Kansas is pretty lame other than the small part that should be in Missouri. I’m not a sports guy, but name a vacation destination in Kansas. I’ll wait 😂.

Reactions: Rick Flair

A family that we are friends with relocated from Corvallis, Oregon to Bentonville a year and a half ago. They are native Oregonians, have two daughters in high school, and none of them wanted to move but the wife had a super lucrative job offer there that she couldn't refuse.

I talked to the wife a couple of months ago, and they are all ultra happy in Arkansas, and said they're never moving back to Oregon. Considering they are card carrying Oregonian liberals that was a pretty impressive about face.

The KC Kansas suburbs were better than the KC Misery side. But they hijacked the Chiefs and Royals and downtown stuff from Missouri and spent their money on schools and roads instead.

Then I moved here, which is a cold version of KC, K with less to do. But I get paid well for the inconvenience.