The Jeep Gladiator is Struggling

Gladiator is just an eyesore. Ugly, terrible vehicle. It looks like it's trying to be a surplus Humvee (just like 4-door Wranglers... ugh).

Now, that J6 would have been vastly preferable.

jeep-j6-10.jpg

Throw a small-block V8 in there, allow it to tow a decent amount, and you've got a real winner on your hands - and you could price it competitively as well. Not the "mall-crawler soccer-mom-mobile" that is the Gladiator. Ugh.

Gladiator is just an eyesore. Ugly, terrible vehicle. It looks like it's trying to be a surplus Humvee (just like 4-door Wranglers... ugh).

View attachment 139770

Throw a small-block V8 in there, allow it to tow a decent amount, and you've got a real winner on your hands - and you could price it competitively as well. Not the "mall-crawler soccer-mom-mobile" that is the Gladiator. Ugh.
I'm not a pickup truck person at all, but this is one of the only pickups that I would legit want to own.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
I'm not a pickup truck person at all, but this is one of the only pickups that I would legit want to own.
I'm in total agreement. I'm not a pickup person either, but that J6 is just a sweeet looking vehicle. I especially like that it's only a two-door. It could be the perfect low-price work truck!

Base model could have the V6 they already make, but you could option for a small-medium sized V8 with upgraded towing capacity, perhaps a 7ft bed option as well. Start with 33" tires, manual windows/locks to cut costs even farther (with power option available), etc. The possibilities are practically endless with the J6.

Only problem is that concept vehicle allegedly ran Jeep about $500k to manufacture since there were so many parts they had to fab specially for it.

I keep wondering at what point does it collapse? I get inflation, regulation, new features, etc., which drive up the prices. However, I've watched new vehicle prices go from $2K to $50K. And payments go from 24 - 36 months to 60 - 72 months (or more). As you've said, sooner or later cars, along with homes, will become increasingly unaffordable.

Add student loan debt to that list. The problem is one of basic economics: demand is high so prices rise. Many people have convinced themselves that they need (deserve?) a new or near-new car all the time. Likewise far more people believe they should go to college. The suppliers are happy to oblige and raise prices accordingly. Unfortunately it's all founded on extreme levels of debt that the consumers are willing to take ("How much payment can I afford?").

Until mass numbers of us are unwilling/unable to take on the debt, the prices will continue to rise.

Superfluous tech in cars drives the price as well, along with federal mandates.

Reactions: bedhed and reddvltj
Add student loan debt to that list. The problem is one of basic economics: demand is high so prices rise. Many people have convinced themselves that they need (deserve?) a new or near-new car all the time. Likewise far more people believe they should go to college. The suppliers are happy to oblige and raise prices accordingly. Unfortunately it's all founded on extreme levels of debt that the consumers are willing to take ("How much payment can I afford?").

Until mass numbers of us are unwilling/unable to take on the debt, the prices will continue to rise.

Superfluous tech in cars drives the price as well, along with federal mandates.
Housing is definitely a big part of that as well as housing prices continue to rise, but you're spot on that personal debt is on the rise, particularly when it comes to auto debt.

1581520595457.png

https://www.newyorkfed.org/microeconomics/hhdc.html
1581520678439.png

https://www.investopedia.com/personal-finance/american-debt-auto-loan-debt/
It makes me damn glad to have both cars completely paid off.

I love the J6 and would 100% buy one. The Gladiator has grown on me, and I would consider one because of the discounts that are offered.

View attachment 139770

There it is....what I always wanted with Rubicon drive train, suspension, and 33s. Can't get it though. Now here's what's terrible: departure angle; under bed spare (I'm experienced at dealing with a flat in 12" of mud, sand or in a boulder field) Outside mounted spare is the sensible way. Now for the JL crap that FCA requires one to buy: Proximity key ignition; Screens; ESS; and more ghosts I haven't even thought of. Best of all, $70k and they're jumping for joy to buy one.

I can tell you one thing... when they are giving out up to $9000 in discounts on brand new 2020 Gladiator models, that speaks in and of itself.

Can you imagine being one of the idiots who bought the Gladiator when it first came out, prices were stupid high, and dealers weren't willing to budge even a dollar off MSRP? Yeah, I'd be pretty upset considering that now they offering some insanely steep discounts.

• Wow
Reactions: Sancho
There it is....what I always wanted with Rubicon drive train, suspension, and 33s. Can't get it though. Now here's what's terrible: departure angle; under bed spare (I'm experienced at dealing with a flat in 12" of mud, sand or in a boulder field) Outside mounted spare is the sensible way. Now for the JL crap that FCA requires one to buy: Proximity key ignition; Screens; ESS; and more ghosts I haven't even thought of. Best of all, $70k and they're jumping for joy to buy one.

Departure angle doesn't look too terrible. As for the spare, you could keep it under the bed but have a hinged door that sits flush with the bed to get at the spare from through the bed without compromising bed strength much.

The best discount on a rubicon gladiator I can find within 500 miles of me is roughly 6k on a 50k truck which is a 12% discount. In comparison when I bought my ram 1500 the MSRP was 53k and I paid roughly 35k, a 31% discount. The dealer had around 200+ identical trucks at this price and they are all gone now.

I don't believe that jeep offering a discount on the Gladiator is a sign of it failing. Instead, I believe they are adjusting the price to be more competitive and bring it to fair market value. Besides, maybe Tacoma's how many trucks get bought at MSRP? When I drive by the local chevy dealer all the trucks always have a sticker on them claiming 10k of MSRP.

Here are a few examples of trucks and "average discounts"
toyota.JPG
ranger.JPG
front.JPG
chevy.JPG
ford.JPG
ram.JPG

Departure angle doesn't look too terrible. As for the spare, you could keep it under the bed but have a hinged door that sits flush with the bed to get at the spare from through the bed without compromising bed strength much.
That departure would never do on the 2+ foot steps of Golden Spike or similar terrain. Great suggestion for spare, but where I changed a tire on a '71 FJ the mud would have oozed through the trap door entry up into the bed; the tire carrier chain, retainer lock release, tensioner bolt and support bar would still be under the tire buried 12" in mud, so I just mudded it out with the FJ. Always liked the side mounted spares on 1950 pickups, one on each side, just in case. Never need two spares? Saw a double flat on Schofield right along the wall just below the bridge. The unfortunate Texan didn't have 2 spares, but he did have gold rims; second flat happened smack centered on the wall.....then you get ready to start and the display suddenly says, "Key Not Recognized". That happened to me in a proximity key equipped GM rental. On a remote trail, if it's your JL, a rental company's not coming to exchange your ride; you're gonna be walkin' out. I don't know how Jeep rental shops will be tolerating software or RF initiated start failures inevitable with the JL platform. I wanted to buy a JL, then was told the proximity key is now standard fare with no alternative equipment choice. Now waiting for prep on an '05 Rubi replacing my stolen XJ, considering myself lucky not to have married into a JL. Saving 35 grand isn't bad either.

That departure would never do on the 2+ foot steps of Golden Spike or similar terrain. Great suggestion for spare, but where I changed a tire on a '71 FJ the mud would have oozed through the trap door entry up into the bed; the tire carrier chain, retainer lock release, tensioner bolt and support bar would still be under the tire buried 12" in mud, so I just mudded it out with the FJ. Always liked the side mounted spares on 1950 pickups, one on each side, just in case. Never need two spares? Saw a double flat on Schofield right along the wall just below the bridge. The unfortunate Texan didn't have 2 spares, but he did have gold rims; second flat happened smack centered on the wall.....then you get ready to start and the display suddenly says, "Key Not Recognized". That happened to me in a proximity key equipped GM rental. On a remote trail, if it's your JL, a rental company's not coming to exchange your ride; you're gonna be walkin' out. I don't know how Jeep rental shops will be tolerating software or RF initiated start failures inevitable with the JL platform. I wanted to buy a JL, then was told the proximity key is now standard fare with no alternative equipment choice. Now waiting for prep on an '05 Rubi replacing my stolen XJ, considering myself lucky not to have married into a JL. Saving 35 grand isn't bad either.

That's why I think if they did such a vehicle, it'd make more sense to make it as low-tech as possible with the option to spec it out for that stuff. Manual windows, manual doors, regular key, no touch-screen console, etc. It'd make it cheaper and vastly widen the market segment in which it could compete. Call it the J6 Rancho trim.

Reactions: Midwest and bedhed
The best discount on a rubicon gladiator I can find within 500 miles of me is roughly 6k on a 50k truck which is a 12% discount. In comparison when I bought my ram 1500 the MSRP was 53k and I paid roughly 35k, a 31% discount. The dealer had around 200+ identical trucks at this price and they are all gone now.

I don't believe that jeep offering a discount on the Gladiator is a sign of it failing. Instead, I believe they are adjusting the price to be more competitive and bring it to fair market value. Besides, maybe Tacoma's how many trucks get bought at MSRP? When I drive by the local chevy dealer all the trucks always have a sticker on them claiming 10k of MSRP.

Here are a few examples of trucks and "average discounts"
View attachment 139842View attachment 139843View attachment 139844View attachment 139845View attachment 139846View attachment 139847
End of year discounts on Rangers were approaching $10k

That's why I think if they did such a vehicle, it'd make more sense to make it as low-tech as possible with the option to spec it out for that stuff. Manual windows, manual doors, regular key, no touch-screen console, etc. It'd make it cheaper and vastly widen the market segment in which it could compete. Call it the J6 Rancho trim.
My kind of thinking.... downside is then every day of the year would look like the Moab Easter Jeep Safari and all other truck manufacturers would go out of business ;-)