The most annoying feature on new cars?

The most annoying feature in new cars are the drivers.....They need all the gadgets and gizmos because I'm convinced people are getting worse and worse at driving.
Now here’s the kicker...are people becoming worse because they feel with all the gizmos they don’t need to pay as much attention as they did when they has a manual gearbox and had to turn on the headlights and wipers etc themselves, if so, the very thing that was made to make things safer is doing the opposite.
Makes you think... are all the bells and whistles making it easier for anyone to get a licence and get behind the wheel.

Just for giggles I priced up a battery for a vehicle that has the stop/start thing installed...New Zealand Dollar prices
Normal battery $90-$120
Stop/start battery $350-$400
4 x the price because it has to be a 'special' battery to withstand the constant abuse.

Reactions: Chris
The stop/start feature is very prominent in Europe. It seemed every car we rented has that feature. As stated, the JL has it and must be deactivated every time you restart the Jeep. I agree, that can’t be good for the starter or battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am betting that the polarity can be crossed. I mean if it is a button, just wire it to "off" every time you start the car. Fool it into thinking you pushed the button every time the car starts.

How about all the new oil viscosity changes? Used to be 5-30,10-30 or 10-40 covered almost every vehicle on the planet. Now they a hundred different weights.

yep 2 newest cars in my household use 0w-20. I also have to admit that blind spot monitoring on the rear view mirrors is becoming a necessity on the newer , smaller SUVs. Some of them don't even have a rear quarter window anymore.

yep 2 newest cars in my household use 0w-20. I also have to admit that blind spot monitoring on the rear view mirrors is becoming a necessity on the newer , smaller SUVs. Some of them don't even have a rear quarter window anymore.
It's also promoting worse mirror design. I figured they say screw it, no one uses em anymore, why make em functional?

My Mazda, I had to swap my manual mirrors for power (but without the power hooked up) because I couldn't set the angle far enough out to not fill half the mirror with the side of my car.

In the wife's mini, they are tapered to a point at the outside edge where they should be most useful. On top of that, again, limited adjustment.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Even worse is the lane change sensors our new Subaru has. They friggin' drive me up the wall. If you even remotely drift over a line on the road, the dashboard starts chiming like crazy and beeping at you.
Sensors huh? My P-0431 sensor is not even for changing lane, no function - it's useless in my book.
Dashboard check engine light is always on >>> just imagine if it beeps too!
Glad she is patiently waiting for me to fix it. No beeping, no chiming... I love her more.
I wish I could change her red engine light into this ":(" and if done fixing it changes into this ":)"

Last edited:
I wish I could change her red engine light into this ":(" and if I fixed it it changes into this ":)"
That's pretty funny! With the popularity of emojis on cell phones and computers these days, I wouldn't be surprised if someday some auto manufacturer doesn't actually do that. You may be onto something! ;)

How about all the new oil viscosity changes? Used to be 5-30,10-30 or 10-40 covered almost every vehicle on the planet. Now they a hundred different weights.

Antifreeze is the same way. We used to have only one kind, green. Now there are variations of green and amber. You mix them and you are in for a rough ride.

yeah I kind of like when oil changes were every 3K, plugs at 10K, antifreeze at 30k, tranny at 30k...gives you something to do.....now trannys are sealed, plugs so buried that half the top end needs to come out and 40 different kinds of antifreeze.

Reactions: johnny deeker