The most exciting topic: What's the deal with my door handles?

fizzlebottom

TJ Enthusiast
TJhandle.jpg

I know this is super exciting to talk about, but I haven't seen another door handle like mine. I got even more curious reading about someone swapping the driver & passenger side handles to open them the correct way. I thought to myself "but I can already do that ..." Instead of pulling from under the typical black handle part, I hook my fingers under the bent metal rod.

So are these some odd dealer special handle only for TJs originally sold in Canada? Aftermarket even? Or maybe I just haven't dug deep enough and everybody already knows the entire history of these handles except me.

Help me solve the world's biggest mystery.

That may be the bar that helps engage the return spring ...180 degrees out of place.

That may be the bar that helps engage the return spring ...180 degrees out of place.
I'm guessing you mean that this bar may typically be tucked under the black handle itself instead of how it is oriented on my doors.

I can't find any images on google that confirms this, and this is my only TJ. Any chance I could get you (or someone else) to snap a pic of the inside or your handle to confirm or deny this?

Was this some available aftermarket addition to factory handles, or a homebrew job? I know this isn't the topic of the century, but I'll just do damn confused about where they came from.
I have no idea. Just a guess. Never know what backyard engineers will come up with.

My guess would have been a leverage devise to help pull the latch fully if somebody had a injury or disability but given you have a 6 speed LHD it would make less sense than a RHD.

I'm guessing you mean that this bar may typically be tucked under the black handle itself instead of how it is oriented on my doors.

I can't find any images on google that confirms this, and this is my only TJ. Any chance I could get you (or someone else) to snap a pic of the inside or your handle to confirm or deny this?
Mines at the shop, otherwise happy to. I’m tearing up stuff like crazy lately

• Haha
Reactions: toximus
I snapped a pic of what's inside. I honestly could not have guessed this if I tried.

tjhandle2.jpg

It isn't attached to anything. The tension alone keeps it in place. So there ya go. For all you folks who find it annoying to open the doors by pulling the latch towards the front, get yourself some round 1/4" rod, cut to length, and bend it a few times to shape. No more annoying handles.

I can take it out and get specific measurements if anyone is interested in recreating.