The Old Man Jeep (a '06 LJ build)

ChadH

Well it sure is nice to see some familiar names! It's been some time since being a part of a TJ forum but I am back after some years of life events.

Over the years I had the joy of working on a few different builds. From my original TJ (https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/majestic-eagle.1434780/#post-14404781), to the 97 OBS (https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/destination-unknown-a-1997-f350-build.172147/), then on to the current Gladiator (https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/destination-unknown-2022-jtr-journal.66430/), and rounding the corner back to a new to me LJ!

Over the last years of changes, and nearing the finish to my JT build, I had an itch that needed to be scratched. The TJ G.E. is near and deer to me with some very significance sentimental value. But, ever since I purchased it I always wished I had just a couple more inches of room. An opportunity came up and I had to go for it. This LJ is in very good condition. I am the second owner, previous owner I believe was an old Vietnam vet that I think passed. How fitting it is to now be owned by another combat vet. This no doubt was the previous owners joy, with just under 63,000 miles and the most minimal rust of any other that I have seen not at an obnoxious +50K price!
IMG_3978.JPG

I was pretty nervous with the process of acquisition, but it went smoother than expected and they were helpful in providing all of the pictures and information I asked for. Here are just a few. It might not look like it but the red is in facet red dirt/clay dust. I have yet to scrub it down for rust prevention. There are of course a few scratches from rocks that have started to rust but a wire wheel, paint, and overcoat will fix that. No cancer to be found on this beauty!
2006-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-2dr-suv-4wd-2.jpg

2006-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-2dr-suv-4wd-27.jpg

2006-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-2dr-suv-4wd-31.jpg

2006-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-2dr-suv-4wd-47.jpg

2006-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-2dr-suv-4wd-49.jpg

Resized_20240126_144223_1706299572823.JPG

This build will be different than previous ones. My original TJ was with the unrealized intent of unrealistic off-road fun. It never got finished and now definitely needs some love after several years of neglect - yet it remains the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The F350 was a great truck to tow my home and could go places I wouldn't dare take the TJ while traveling for work, but it was cumbersome for a broken body and parts were getting hard to find. The Gladiator is an awesome and down to earth 'overlander' rig with all the cool things, but with electronics galore on these new vehicles I wonder about longevity.

This LJ, will be built with aging in mind to be my "Old Man Jeep". It will function overall as the Gladiator for camping trips (though not multi-week long ones) and getting groceries as well as weekend cruises, but it will be 'old school' and simple (in 2024 terms of fancy electronics) like the TJ. It feels like this is coming full circle, but I am very excited for this to be built. As much as I love the Gladiator, something about the TJ just put a smile on my face no other vehicle can do. And this LJ will be just as reliable and small and fun, with a bit more storage and comfort. The TJ/LJ platform just has a reliability reputation for me that far and above exceeds any other vehicle I have ever owned. So, the LJ will be a mild build - past the age of wild and crazy I am anymore and body failures make hard core unenjoyable. But, capability is always desired, along with modular ability.

So stick around, and join along in the story of my Old Man Jeep.
IMG_4055.JPG

Welcome to the forum and nice LJ!

I’m also a refugee from the Jeep forum and the old jeepsunlimited forums just now getting back into jeeping after life events as well.
Bought an LJR last summer as my built TJ rusted out.
Forgot how much money you can dump into these things.
Thankfully kids have been out of college and out of the house for a while to give my bank account time to recover.
Many of the TJ expert crew are on here. Unfortunately I’m not one of them lol.

Welcome to the forum, and great intro! I too, have reached "old man" stage with my TJ, but it still puts a smile on my face.

From one combat vet to another, Welcome. I also have a JTR same color but I haven't done much to it.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/22-jtr-build-in-tx.62643/#post-1217448

I'm looking forward to your build

Well it sure is nice to see some familiar names! It's been some time since being a part of a TJ forum but I am back after some years of life events.

Over the years I had the joy of working on a few different builds. From my original TJ (https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/majestic-eagle.1434780/#post-14404781), to the 97 OBS (https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/destination-unknown-a-1997-f350-build.172147/), then on to the current Gladiator (https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/destination-unknown-2022-jtr-journal.66430/), and rounding the corner back to a new to me LJ!

Over the last years of changes, and nearing the finish to my JT build, I had an itch that needed to be scratched. The TJ G.E. is near and deer to me with some very significance sentimental value. But, ever since I purchased it I always wished I had just a couple more inches of room. An opportunity came up and I had to go for it. This LJ is in very good condition. I am the second owner, previous owner I believe was an old Vietnam vet that I think passed. How fitting it is to now be owned by another combat vet. This no doubt was the previous owners joy, with just under 63,000 miles and the most minimal rust of any other that I have seen not at an obnoxious +50K price!
View attachment 512357

I was pretty nervous with the process of acquisition, but it went smoother than expected and they were helpful in providing all of the pictures and information I asked for. Here are just a few. It might not look like it but the red is in facet red dirt/clay dust. I have yet to scrub it down for rust prevention. There are of course a few scratches from rocks that have started to rust but a wire wheel, paint, and overcoat will fix that. No cancer to be found on this beauty!
View attachment 512358

View attachment 512343

View attachment 512344

View attachment 512345

View attachment 512346

View attachment 512347

This build will be different than previous ones. My original TJ was with the unrealized intent of unrealistic off-road fun. It never got finished and now definitely needs some love after several years of neglect - yet it remains the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The F350 was a great truck to tow my home and could go places I wouldn't dare take the TJ while traveling for work, but it was cumbersome for a broken body and parts were getting hard to find. The Gladiator is an awesome and down to earth 'overlander' rig with all the cool things, but with electronics galore on these new vehicles I wonder about longevity.

This LJ, will be built with aging in mind to be my "Old Man Jeep". It will function overall as the Gladiator for camping trips (though not multi-week long ones) and getting groceries as well as weekend cruises, but it will be 'old school' and simple (in 2024 terms of fancy electronics) like the TJ. It feels like this is coming full circle, but I am very excited for this to be built. As much as I love the Gladiator, something about the TJ just put a smile on my face no other vehicle can do. And this LJ will be just as reliable and small and fun, with a bit more storage and comfort. The TJ/LJ platform just has a reliability reputation for me that far and above exceeds any other vehicle I have ever owned. So, the LJ will be a mild build - past the age of wild and crazy I am anymore and body failures make hard core unenjoyable. But, capability is always desired, along with modular ability.

So stick around, and join along in the story of my Old Man Jeep.
View attachment 512359

Sweet LJ
LJ envy is a real thing