The Ruger Wrangler

Can anyone recommend a good .22 rifle? Something for plinking that I could pair with a scope?

I'm real happy with my Ruger 10/22 LVT. It shot very well right out of the box. I've since had a gunsmith friend do a little tune up on it, and it shoot better than me.

Reactions: Chris
I originally bought a Ruger SR22 for my wife. It is such a enjoyable gun it is now my go to for just taking out for a little fun. Plus I can tell myself I can afford more Jeep parts with all the money I saved on ammo.

I plan on picking up an SR22. What kind of ammo do you use? Is there any kinds you stay away from with the Ruger?

If you really want something that is a blast to shoot get one of these. Pain in ass to reload but is a blast! Put six balls in this single action and fan the hammer. Smoke literally rolling in a cloud when your done. I love these old replicas! cheap too.

If you really want something that is a blast to shoot get one of these. Pain in ass to reload but is a blast! Put six balls in this single action and fan the hammer. Smoke literally rolling in a cloud when your done. I love these old replicas! cheap too.
View attachment 89850

I've been giving them a go this year, I agree they are a blast.They are especially fun to mess with on a workbench.I havent started casting my own lead yett, but I made my own nipple wrench and I've been playing around with harbor freights hollow punch set, making wads, discs, cookies, etc.Im starting to save money but I'm still under a quarter a shot using Hornady balls.

Cylinders are only $50 from cabelas, not much worse then buying name brand magazines.

20190213_141005.jpg

I plan on picking up an SR22. What kind of ammo do you use? Is there any kinds you stay away from with the Ruger?
I fire whatever is cheap and available. The gun is pretty solid and rarely misfires or stovepipes. I might have 1 misfire out of a 100 rounds.

Reactions: RussTJ
If you're looking for a fun .22lr pistol take a look at the Sig Mosquito. I had one previously and much preferred it to the sr22. You need to do a bit of work on it to make it great. (lighly sand and polish the feed ramp.)

If memory serves me right the mosquito is a 90% clone of the sig p229.

I've been giving them a go this year, I agree they are a blast.They are especially fun to mess with on a workbench.I havent started casting my own lead yett, but I made my own nipple wrench and I've been playing around with harbor freights hollow punch set, making wads, discs, cookies, etc.Im starting to save money but I'm still under a quarter a shot using Hornady balls.

Cylinders are only $50 from cabelas, not much worse then buying name brand magazines.

View attachment 89865
I don't use wads, not in the pistols, don't need em and they take up precious powder space (believe I read this somewhere). I get the same Hornady .451 balls, each one goes in tight and shaves off a sliver of lead, have my powder measure so that each ball barely clears the barrel as the cylinder rotates,,, more power that way. these are way more fun than any conventional weapon except for my AR's and AK.

If you're looking for a fun .22lr pistol take a look at the Sig Mosquito. I had one previously and much preferred it to the sr22. You need to do a bit of work on it to make it great. (lighly sand and polish the feed ramp.)

If memory serves me right the mosquito is a 90% clone of the sig p229.
Sig discontinued the Mosquito a few years ago. It wasn't actually a Sig Sauer gun as it was manufactured for them by GSG. The gun can still be found but it is sold as the GSG Firefly.

Reactions: Alex01
Sig discontinued the Mosquito a few years ago. It wasn't actually a Sig Sauer gun as it was manufactured for them by GSG. The gun can still be found but it is sold as the GSG Firefly.
I'll have to look into that. I miss that gun.

I don't use wads, not in the pistols, don't need em and they take up precious powder space (believe I read this somewhere). I get the same Hornady .451 balls, each one goes in tight and shaves off a sliver of lead, have my powder measure so that each ball barely clears the barrel as the cylinder rotates,,, more power that way. these are way more fun than any conventional weapon except for my AR's and AK.

I've just been trying different recipes for fun.Those punch sets are only $8, they include a punch for all the black powder calibers from .31 to .50.At that price it's just more fun shooting biodegradable trash then it is sending it to the dump.I get 200 cardboard swabs from a single 4 cup McDonald's drink holder, the ones made out of the recycled cardboard.I've been using .454 balls and Remington #10 caps, I have a loading press so I don't put much wear on the loading arms.

I own a large 5.11 messenger bag so it's not very hard lugging all this stuff to the range with my .22.It all fits in that messenger bag with a Walther p22 lol.

View attachment 89850
I’ve been wanting a black powder pistol. I have a few muskets and love tuning them. It’s definitely an art to find the right load that works for each gun. The last few deer hunts I’ve been on have been musket only. I love the challenge of having only one shot.

I have always like revolvers. My father carried his own Colt special police 22 revolver all through WWII. Used it for getting meat. He carried it the rest of his life as well.

I have one of these.

As much as I love it, when it costs almost $1 per round to shoot, you can see why a .22 is appealing. Especially if I'm just taking pot shots.

The cost of ammunition these days is so much, that it's really deterred me from owning more guns than I otherwise might.
Blasphemy! You should be staked out for the ants to eat for saying such things...you can never have too many guns! and never too much ammo... unless your place is on fire...:p

Blasphemy! You should be staked out for the ants to eat for saying such things...you can never have too many guns! and never too much ammo... unless your place is on fire...:p

Or unless you have a variety of other expensive hobbies :ROFLMAO:

In which case I have to sometimes decide which one takes precedence over the others.

At one point I had a 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Precision Rifle. I just couldn't stomach the cost of lost to $5 a round though, so I eventually got rid of it due to that.

Well I can understand that, I own 5 jeeps, and airplane, working on setting up a machine shop, I have a sheetmetal shop, guns, land, a tractor, motorcycles, awe crap, i have so many that I cant remember them all. but I have only ever traded 1 gun and had 2 stolen...

Or unless you have a variety of other expensive hobbies :ROFLMAO:

In which case I have to sometimes decide which one takes precedence over the others.

At one point I had a 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Precision Rifle. I just couldn't stomach the cost of lost to $5 a round though, so I eventually got rid of it due to that.
You have to be wise with guns. I have quite a few, but I don't buy guns in odd ball calibers. I buy guns only in common calibers. I'll never buy a gun that I cannot afford to shoot on a regular basis.

If I ever bought an odd ball, expensive to shoot caliber, it better do something I absolutely need, and something my other guns can't do, or I won't bother.

I have few odd balls, like a 1891 7.65 Argentine Mauser, and a Lee Enfield .303 British, but I hardly ever shoot those.