The story of Clementine

mousehunter

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well, about time to start Clementine's build thread. I think the story started about 4/11/22. I had been on and off shopping for a Jeep since November. Eventually in February, narrowed it down to an LJ. Looked at lots - mostly with a bunch of rust. Saw Clementine on a couple websites - she was about 800 miles away. I planned the trip, got it inspected - made the drive and she came home with me. Should have taken more pictures...

Clementine waiting to get on the trailer

clementine1.jpg

Clementine at her new home
clementine2.jpg

Shortly after purchasing her, I started on her build, But getting a bit ahead of the story.

The real story started probably about 25 years earlier. My car was dying a hard and cruel death, and I got a 4x4 truck. Shortly afterwards, I got into kayaking. I started modifying it into a kayaking vehicle. That was not much really – camper cap and kayak rack. As a kayaking truck it was great – I sleep many, many nights in that truck. But ultimately it became way too undependable. Sadly, I loosing it ultimately losing it virtually ended my kayaking career.

In 2017, I thought getting my wife a Jeep would solve the problem. But she would not share. Absolutely would not let me put a roof rack on it. I thought when she wanted to retire it, I could get it. Nope, she sold it to someone else. Jeep she replaced it with still had the same no roof rack policy. So, my Jeep quest began – and we were eventually back to 4/11.

First step was to remove a few annoyances. The seat position was raised – OMG that made driving much more enjoyable. The hood was vibrating pretty bad, so I changed out the worn out stock latches with pins.

Then the next step was to make it flat towable. I replace the front bumper with a Hard Rock 4x4 bumper that was tow rated. While I was at it, I also replaced the rear bumper with a tire carrier bumper – I really did not want to hurt my rear door. The front bumper had a spot for a winch, so added that as well.

Clementine came with a 4” lift. Did not really want that, but oh well. Also came with 35” tires on 17” rims. 33” tires were a better fit for the lift (no body lift), so I changed them to narrower 33” tires on 15” rims.

After a few trips to the ranch with the Labs, also decided to put a Dirty Dog Barrier in.

Clementine3.jpg

Meanwhile, realized that she had stock gearing – so went to work on getting that changed. Since she was going to the shop and going to have the diff opened up, perfect time for lockers. She did not handle well on the gravel road to my ranch, so decided to put a Sway-Loc on her. Oh well, might as well add onboard air and make those air lockers. Shop put in a SwitchPro to control it all. Almost done – right, nope.

Did Clementines second road trip. Navigating with a cell phone left a lot to be desired – so decided to put in an Alpine IC-507. Well it can handle front and rear cameras – so put them on as well.

Realized the existing lift was not the greatest and was wearing out – so tried to get a Savvy lift on with Currect Link. The shop did not have the time to install those – and next appointment was 3 months out. So I had them installed by a local shop – which did not do the best of jobs. Went to a different local shop to correct the mess and get her aligned. While I was at that, attempted to get the shocks replaced.

A major thing I wanted was a roof rack. Ultimately, I decided to replace my hardtop with a Bulldawg highlander with a Pioneer platform. Had a few issues with that, but they only took time. After sitting in the driveway for over a month (working out the issues), the new hard top was on. While I was doing that, mounted an Arizona Rocky Road radio mount. The GMRS is still in the box – working on an antenna mount.

Since things were going quicker, got the rest of the front bumper install finished – my fog lights are not back. Also mounted an Arizona Rocky Road Radio mount.

Clementine4.jpg

Clementine5.jpg

Things have been happening a bit quicker now. Shop only replaced 2 of the shocks. But got a 3rd road trip in. This trip was to get my shark rack ordered – and got an engine code – misfiring on cylinder 3. She went back to the shop today. While she is there, they are going to work on fixing the lift install a little more, clean up my camera install, and put the rear shocks on. Meanwhile, will be calling the fab shop for the shark rack fitting. Also planning on putting a cargo basked above my spare tire, mostly to build a ladder into it’s frame to get onto the roof easier. Plus it will give me a great place to put the GMRS antenna.

Meanwhile, have been building a rear sleeping/cargo platform. It will be essentially a Gray Mouser build. It's cut and glued up now (screwed, glued, and pegged), will post some pictures in the next installment as I do the finish work. I am going to try poor man's fiberglass - hopefully I can get enough strength with this method to forgo the reinforcements in the Gray Mouser plan. Will say the post Covid plywood is the worst stuff I have ever worked with. So many voids - I took 2 hrs glueing in stock just to seal up the edge voids.

Jeep looks good!

Don't let this shop throw a bunch of parts at your Jeep it doesn't need. That misfire cylinder 3 is solved with heat shielding around the number 3 injector. Chrysler had a fiber glass shield they installed and a heat foil to guard it.

The heat foil will get old and become less effective. Looks like you live in Texas and that's plenty hot enough to heat soak the nem er 3 injector and misfire.

Or, you can do what I did, and install 2 heat shields ans DEI's heat wrap kit for Jeep TJ. The heat shield kit says it fits up to 2004, but it fits all the way to 2006.

https://www.designengineering.com/97-04-jeep-4-0l-i6-fuel-rail-injector-cover-kit/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mop-56028371aa

Got it back. They did a bunch of odd work I asked for. Installed the Rancho shocks in the rear, routed the front camera wire through the bull bar on the front bumper, changed out some bolts fixed a leak in the vacuum hose (needed that to get the AC to run better), replaced some short bolts on the front lower control arms and replaced the coil rail. They also tightened the spark plugs - all 6 were loose. The shop owner's wife is one of my wife's better friends - so I don't think they were trying to pad their kids college funds too much.
—-
did my first layer of the canvas. It's been about 1.5 years since I have done this - and perhaps I skimped on some steps, or perhaps I simply tried to do too complex of shape. The bottom is going to be far from perfect. I had sealed the entire platform with a layer of 50% deluted titebond and attempted to attach the canvas with the second layer not diluted. That was a mistake. The wood sucked in the base glue faster than I could get the canvas down, but the undiluted glue did not penetrate the canvas well. I should have called the whole layer a mistake and taken it off before it was too late - but I ran with it. It will be far from perfect - but it is the bottom and will not be seen anyway. Used about 2/3 a gallon of titibond on this - so back to the hardware store before 5pm.

The top will be a different weave of canvas - I had gotten it all from harbor freight at the same time (several years ago), and did not notice they had 2 different sources of canvas then. I think the weave might be looser on the second sheet - so will see.

Last edited:
Well, poor man's fiberglass takes a long time - and I have not been 100% faithful to not wasting any. The bottom canvas was not put on perfect, top is looking much better. Ultimately did a coat of 50% diluted titebond, then a coat of non-diluted titebond, then wetted the canvas and top with a thick coat and stretched the canvas on the top and rolled it down. That worked fairly well. Waiting for the last section of canvas that I glued down to dry-which will probably be at least 12hrs. So far I have used 1.5 gallons of titebond on the top. Hopefully will have enough left to do the extensions and braces. Local shop is sold out of titebond because of me. I put a layer of titebond down after the canvas was glued on the bottom, so I need to do that on the top as well. But I also need to make sure it is outgassed before doing that, so will probably change focus to the extensions and braces for a few days. Plus life will be simpler if I can paint everything at the same time.

Here is picture before the canvas. Will update tomorrow after I trim the last of the canvas glued. Then will go to work on the extensions, braces, then painting. Hopefully will finish that by this weekend.

Clementine6.jpg

Meanwhile getting a lot of differential whine. Need to call the shop that did the regearing and see if they will take a look. Right now the gear whine is much louder than the road noise coming off the mud grips - it is pretty sad. Wanting to wear noise cancelling headphones when I drive. Aluminum fab shop is still too backloged to even schedule the shark rack yet.

Last edited:
Not the quickest update in the history of the internet. Misfire was a fairly inexpensive repair. Then she went to the aluminum fab shop for a rear rack and the rest of the shark platform. They did fairly attractive work, abet I wish I had input into the design. When I went to pick her up - it took me about a minute to show a major design flaws-I could no longer open my rear window. A few days latter that was corrected, but other issues with the overall design I am still playing with (and a couple I have just wrote off and will have to deal with). When I got her home from that tow, AC blower was dead. So that was another couple weeks for an inexpensive repair (but did put in another 500 mile trip to the beach without the AC).

Still dealing with complications due to the shark rack-mostly clearance issues. Meanwhile decided I did not really like that rack on this Jeep (it was too narrow) - so rack v2 is being assembled in my yard (rack v1 has another use for me anyway. At least trying to deal with the complications is easier when working off of saw horses rather than standing on top of the Jeep.

At least the sleeping platform is finished. I have already put it into storage - as the other major project is pulling out the carpet and installing sound deadening. Weather has been random enough I have not wanted to tear everything apart to start it yet.

So am currentlywaiting for Stedi mounts for the Gravity lights. They accept a significantly wider light bar than the Rhino version (about 6" wider). I might switch out to low profile mounts for the platform-but I need to figure out clearance issues first. Clearance issues, what fun. Will be ordering stuff for adapting the kayak cradles next week (including a cradle from the UK). Right now I am trying to adopt a stock Hullivator within the clearance issues of the shark rack and Max Trax - but the Hullivator comes with a rather pathetic cradle.

Time for a little bit better update. Had been in a race against Starship... Finished the sleeping platform, and most of the cosmetic issues. Cylinder 3 probably has popped up and gone away again. So figured Starship won, but I did manage to go to the April 17 launch attempt - well it got scrubbed, so race is not technically over yet...

AC blower blew out of the dash on the way home - so will miss the next Launch attempt.
jeep side window.jpg

jeep sleep platform.jpg

The front seat can fold forward, then the additional platform can fold forward. I am 5' 10" I had plenty of room to sleep stretched out. Took the picture with the mattress removed.

Last edited:
A couple more pictures. The plywood is laminated with tightbond and canvas to make poor man's fiberglass. By doing the laminates, I did not feel necessary to put in a bunch of other structural reinforcement. Legs are doweled in place (rather than dado'ed, which also gives extra lateral support.

People mode
people mode.jpg

people mode2.jpg

Dog mode
dog mode.jpg

I had squeezed a 75x35 trifold mattress in. The space between the roll cage and the driver seat was 27". I just ordered a 25" wide trifold - as it would be small enough to fit 2, or drive with the bed down. Tri-fold vs rolled... Tri-fold it nice, if you pay attention, you can put the side that flips over to the front - so it is a quick flip over and you can take down the bed. The narrower one should be easy to store under the deck.

Right now I have a bag of recovery gear, a bag of tools, a camp chair, and a egg crate of various fishing and dog stuff (I also have my strap bag there, but it generally lives in my truck). If I rearrange a little, some of that can fit behind the seat - and I can get a fishing drone and tackle boxes under the deck as well. Top of the deck has enough room to slide in dog kennels or ice chests. The only reason I have had this out over the last 2 months was to haul a pressure washer.

Slight added benifit - with the mattress in the back, I could actually here the stereo. It did not make the Jeep quiet, but more like barely tolerable.
—-
did a little reorganizing - move the strap bag back to my truck - put the air cable in the corner, the camp chair besides the platform... Anyway, better view of the cavern of storage. sorry about the sand, I had it in storage for a bit, plus it got rained on in the yard a few times.

Picture does show the folded in extension supports on the front side of the platform. - everything is hinged with stainless steel piano hinges. The ones on the supports are wider (ordered by mistake), the ones on the top are thinner to keep them flush with the 3/4" top.
jeep storage.jpg

I have a 12v fridge that can fit under the platform - but I need to come up with a slide so I can pull it out to open it. I don't think I have a ton of clearance. Right now it is my desk fridge though. Have considered an offset hinge - so I could drop it and still have it flush with the bed of the Jeep. Worse case, I can always put 3/4" runners under the bottom of the platform legs to get a fraction more clearance - but then clearance for the kennels on top would get tighter.
—-
tiny update. postponed putting in sound proofing to take Jeep back to regear shop. Seems like addressing the problem should be first, hiding it second. They took about 5 minutes to tell me my pinion is shot. Sounded like they can do that in a couple of hours, just need to schedule a time with them next week. Meanwhile, have been collecting parts to install the GMRS and a CB. I think most are at the Post Office now (we don't get Saturday delivery. FedEx said they were delievering my new tri-fold mattress today - I assume they dropped it off at the closed post office... Got to love lazy. This is my second new tri-fold mattress. First one was rubbish - Amazon reviews are all lies. How can someone claim it is too hard, when it bottoms out the second you lay on it because it is so soft. Anyway, most likely will refoam it, so it is not an entire loss. Will see if this next one also has trash foam in it. I ultimately wanted 2 - so at least I will have 2 cases if all else fails.
—-
well called to schedule the repair Thursday. Next week is now next month. @%##!$@!$!!!. Really funny - I go to 1 Jeep event a year, they asked me to bring it in the day the event starts... So one month will feel like 1 year, will be missing the Jeep event that I cancelled my families annual vacation to attend. So both vacations are now toast.

Last edited:
Well repair did not go exactly as hoped. Dropped it off Thursday for the pinion replacement, but they found out almost immediately it was not the pinion, but a different gear. I could be wrong, but something backed out of the carrier and destroyed a gear. So, they got in the right parts, but as they were closing up on Friday, they realized that it was not their install error, but the lift install was done bad. Not sure if the lift originally had the correct axle location, or if it rotated afterwords since the cam washers had not been installed - but the axle had rotated and that was what was causing the noise. Picked it up today, for a drive home - but needed to do a gear break in - so the 70 miles took about 4hrs to drive home. Likewise, since it it was not their fault - it was no longer a warranty repair.

Well $1400 later - got to say, appears money well spent. Gear noise is completely gone. I have sound proofing to install yet - but the Jeep is entirely livable now. I can listen to the stereo and enjoy it finally. Still have motor noise, exhuast noise, tire and road noise, and wind noise - but the biggest noise is gone. Soundproofing will address all of that but the wind noise - and it is the last thing I am worrying about

Well, Clementine had a busy weekend. Since the last post, had it back in the shop one more time for the misfire on cylinder 3 error. Picked it up on the way for the gear's 500 mile checkup - and got almost 30 miles before got the error again !#$%!%!... But naturally, it went away before I could get back to the shop. It has been 2 months now - and it has not come back. Mechanic thinks it might be an injector issue - but really needs details on when it happens. But so far it has not come back up. Meanwhile - started work on comms, just because I was tired of them riding arround in boxes. No real use for them yet though - road noise was still bad enough I would not be able to use them while driving, so while they are mounted, they are not wired.

Race against Starship got me motivated again (wanted to get the sound proofing done before the next launch attempt - which since the last unplanned rapid disassembly, gave me a bit of time), so removed the interior and put in sound deadening and thermal insulation. Took a work in progress picture after the sound deadening was installed.

jeep_insulation-2937082.jpg

Got good coverage with that, but have not done the doors yet. Thermal, just laid down the bottom of the tub and the tunnel - that is were most of the heat is coming from. Did extend it up the firewall as far as I could easily take it - but probably could eventually go further with it as well.

It was close to 10pm when I finished putting away tools and took a short test drive. Well at least it still runs. No mistaking I have mud grips on - but that was something I knew from the begging. The tone is lower, Maybe got a 20% reduction in road noise. Phone is dead, so I could not run a comparison test with the stereo (unplugged the charger, opps).

Had planned on running at least one set of coax while the interior was out - but decided to put the carpet back in tonight instead. It will be easy enough to run now that I have a better idea of where the pass through is. Will probably run the CB coax tomorrow - who knows, might run the GMRS coax as well. Really should wire in the toys that are currently only decoration. (CB is on the far left, GMRS is above the switch pad in the center).
—-
Another week of baby steps. Put the sleeping platform back in. Just finished installing the CB Antenna, running the coax, and power leads. Still have to run a jumper from the power distribution box under the hood to the pigtails that are ran under the dash. Tomorrow will be busy, but before the weekend is over should have the CB working... GMRS is a different matter. No way the coax I have will reach unless I mount the antenna someplace else (which will have worse grounding issues). In theory, I might be able to ground from the roll cage through the roof rack bolts - but that is questionable at best
—-
Apparently the ground on my brake light mount was not all that bad. Had a Nano VNA sitting around from testing my HAM radio antennas. It started out not bad, but the antenna was short. (Ok, took over 30 minutes to remember how to turn on the Nano VNA, calibrate it, and set it up for measuring SWR - skills not used are skills lost), but only a couple of minutes to tune the antenna. Now 1.4 SWR on 1 and 40, with 1.33 around mid-band. Not perfect, but very acceptable. Running out of excuses for not connecting the power leads... Maybe I will run power for the GMRS - any excuses right? Might put it on the VNA before I try to ground it and see just how bad it is - and then again once I get a grounding strap to see if the ground is decent.

Last edited:
Reactions: L J