The TJ got decent mpg on road trip!

billiebob

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So i did a trip. Revelstoke BC, Spokane WA, Portland OR, Salem, Astoria, up the coast to Seattle, Victoria BC and home a bit over 1K miles. I decided to try to get great MPG. So never over 60mph. Rarely over 2200rpm. Drive without shoes, Downshift before pushing on the loud pedal..... It was tough to avoid the desire to stay in front of the BMWs but the goal of incredible MPG somehow got the better of me and I always lifted off to encourage passing.

I also drove 90% secondary highways. Only on the Interstate thru the Tacoma/Seattle corridor..... altho I would have needed to be incredibly aggressive to exceed the speed limit on I5. It was a great trip. Colfax WA was a beautiful little town. The gorge, I stopped, found a motel early because sunsets are incredible. Portland was "enlightening". Salem a great stop, cool to see Chris for coffee. And up the coast Cutler City,,,, wow. and wow all the way to Seaside. I thought I was going to tow my trailer but really, spring was late this year and then I'd not have done the MPG thing.

So how did I do.... well I've never beat 19mpg before but the hyper miler thing of driving without shoes and the keep it around 2K rpm really worked. Not the stuff to get pissed over but my worst over 1K miles was 20mpg. My best on the slow Portland, Salem, Cutler City, Astoria, Seaside, Seattle stretch,,, 23mpg. It was painful but hey 23mpg in a TJR, with 33s ands 4.10s.... I'm exstatic. I have trouble beating 15mpg around home... altho that includes towing a 2000# trailer. I bet a dedicated hyper miler could get over 25mpg.... but I doubt any of those guys would give up their TDI Jettas.

All in it was a great experiment. On the side, I needed a heater core and got that done in Spokane at Tune Tech. You know, you have to pull the dash and steering column to replace the heater core..... 5 hours, $847.00. My next vehicle will have a carburetor.

So i did a trip. Revelstoke BC, Spokane WA, Portland OR, Salem, Astoria, up the coast to Seattle, Victoria BC and home a bit over 1K miles. I decided to try to get great MPG. So never over 60mph. Rarely over 2200rpm. Drive without shoes, Downshift before pushing on the loud pedal..... It was tough to avoid the desire to stay in front of the BMWs but the goal of incredible MPG somehow got the better of me and I always lifted off to encourage passing.

I also drove 90% secondary highways. Only on the Interstate thru the Tacoma/Seattle corridor..... altho I would have needed to be incredibly aggressive to exceed the speed limit on I5. It was a great trip. Colfax WA was a beautiful little town. The gorge, I stopped, found a motel early because sunsets are incredible. Portland was "enlightening". Salem a great stop, cool to see Chris for coffee. And up the coast Cutler City,,,, wow. and wow all the way to Seaside. I thought I was going to tow my trailer but really, spring was late this year and then I'd not have done the MPG thing.

So how did I do.... well I've never beat 19mpg before but the hyper miler thing of driving without shoes and the keep it around 2K rpm really worked. Not the stuff to get pissed over but my worst over 1K miles was 20mpg. My best on the slow Portland, Salem, Cutler City, Astoria, Seaside, Seattle stretch,,, 23mpg. It was painful but hey 23mpg in a TJR, with 33s ands 4.10s.... I'm exstatic. I have trouble beating 15mpg around home... altho that includes towing a 2000# trailer. I bet a dedicated hyper miler could get over 25mpg.... but I doubt any of those guys would give up their TDI Jettas.

All in it was a great experiment. On the side, I needed a heater core and got that done in Spokane at Tune Tech. You know, you have to pull the dash and steering column to replace the heater core..... 5 hours, $847.00. My next vehicle will have a carburetor.
So what you're saying is that you paid for the heater core installation with all the money you saved on gas? You da man!!! :D LOL Just messin' with ya, @billiebob. Gotta ask, though...what's with the driving "without shoes"? That a Canadian thing? o_O Please 'splain, Lucy!

I managed to get 21 mpg consistently out of my old black Rubicon on 33" tires and a 4" lift on a 220 mile road trip! I was shocked.

It was all highway driving, a lot of it with cruise control.

I've seen 18+ on 33's with 4.56's on my 4.0 '06. Good to know it can probably get better if I keep my foot out of it :D

Unknown.jpeg

is this a TJ dash ? very cool !!

View attachment 40430
Yes it is! When I did my V8 swap it is complicated enough getting the wiring harness tapped into the jeep fuse box and just stripping stuff out that I didn't want to complicate it more by having to tap into the Jeep puter too for gauges to work so I opted just to run actual gauges instead for simplicity and accuracy, they work great!

Reactions: KCsTJ
I really like the DRZ-400 models. I'm still on wife one, and I like to keep it that way, so another motorcycle is not in my future. But, I have always lusted after the SuperMoto version.

2018-dr-z400sm-2.jpg

Reactions: Squatch
I used to have a black DRZ400SM. Probably the favorite of all the ones I've ever had. It was so fun, did need more power though and a 6th gear.

Got 50 - 60 mpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk