The Tool Kit

Well, alrighty then. I've given the tool kit some thought over the last few days and I have to say that I'm having some issues with this post. Being a pretty practical guy, and not wanting to drag a bunch of crap around that I don't use, I started to give a lot of thought to what I really needed in a tool kit that lives in MY rig when I go off road. Now please understand, I'm not a SoCal rock crawler or a Georgia mudder. I'm not up to my hubs in mud or jumping ledges and climbing waterfalls. I run the backwoods on Forest Service / BLM "roads", motor down skidder trails and tool down the beach to clam beds and fishing spots. My TJ isn't a fast mover, what with the four angry squirrels and all. My Dana 35 hasn't exploded yet.

With all of that being said, it has occurred to me that I haven't used any tools off road in probably ten years or so. It's blasphemy, but true. I haven't fouled out a spark plug since fuel injection and computerized engine management. I haven't replaced a water pump in the woods or anything else for that matter in forever. I do all of my maintenance at home in the comfort of my own garage with access to a well stocked auto parts store. I don't carry spare radiators, spark plugs, gear oil, axles, or anything of the sort. Once a month or so I go over the Jeep(s) (and the other rigs) to make sure that there are no maintenance or repair issues that will bite me in the butt out in the boonies. I carry fuses, and light bulbs, a multi tool, a couple of screw drivers and the Torx driver to adjust my drivers side head lamp. A 13mm box open end wrench for changing out the soft top. A quart of engine oil and water for me or the TJ as required. Duct tape and rebar tie wire. I'm sure there is the remnants of a roll of electrical tape in there someplace, but I have no idea where at the moment. I have an air compressor and tools to change out a tire, though I keep an eye on my tires and haven't needed to change one out on one of my rigs in years.

Now I know guys who have everything from a complete mechanics kit to welders and receiver mounted vices in their rigs. And use them on occasion. They drive over and through stuff that I drive around. Most of the time it's an injudicious use of the skinny pedal or an error in judgement that leads to the breakdown and causes the deployment of all those fine tools and spare parts. Not always though. As often as not the unplanned disassembly is preceded by someone hollering "Hey Ya'll, Watch this!" and is followed by wailing and gnashing of teeth...and a quick run (hours) into town for forgotten tools and replacement parts. That's usually followed by a weekend spent repairing something in the woods in the rain and the snot.

I guess what I'm saying is you need to evaluate your need for tools and base it on what you are really going to use and really going to need.

I am not in Moab or Colorado on New Mexico, or Arizona ......... We have been on the Oregon coast for several weeks. However, we have been a couple of hundred miles on Stinger around Brookings and guess what. Those miles have almost exclusively been on FS roads and the same stuff you described. Hell of a lot of fun! I carry: a Phillips, a crescent wrench, a pair of water pump pliers (slip joint) a flat blade -small and large blade, and of course stuff to change a tire. Worked for everything I needed.
No, I never carry a spare radiator but that did make me chuckle--a lot! I do carry a few more tools if I am "wheeling." This type stuff Faye and I call 'sploring! Oh and a couple of cans of cold beer. You know just in case we break down some where and have to wait for a tow truck.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: JimT and StG58
I have a little military surplus folding shovel, an air compressor, a solar panel for charging electronics, and all of my winching gear on my Jeep.

I would like to buy every tool imaginable of course for my Jeep - but that's expensive. Would you say having an axe and a bigger shovel necessary? I am certainly of the cloth that you must be prepared for everything.

I have a little military surplus folding shovel, an air compressor, a solar panel for charging electronics, and all of my winching gear on my Jeep.

I would like to buy every tool imaginable of course for my Jeep - but that's expensive. Would you say having an axe and a bigger shovel necessary? I am certainly of the cloth that you must be prepared for everything.
I carry that same surplus shovel because I have not gotten around to replacing it with something that actually works. I did carry a cut down small grain scoop when I was working in snow country.

If you are operating in national forest during the fire seasons there are sometimes restriction that require a shovel and axe be carried. Frisk makes an excellent single blade with splitting wedge built in.

In short, carry stuff for what you are going to do.

Reactions: StG58 and Kyle_W
I carry that same surplus shovel because I have not gotten around to replacing it with something that actually works. I did carry a cut down small grain scoop when I was working in snow country.

If you are operating in national forest during the fire seasons there are sometimes restriction that require a shovel and axe be carried. Frisk makes an excellent single blade with splitting wedge built in.

In short, carry stuff for what you are going to do.

Ok I got you. Which goes for many scenarios, just equip yourself with what you know you will use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great topic @StG58

i tour a lot with my TJ and trailer and tools are most important of all for me. ive lost of count of the times my tools have saved my ass in the middle of no where. would love to expand on this topic and see pix of how you and others store their tools in their TJ and what they bring.

for me the tools i bring are the essential ones needed to keep the rig running and to easily and quickly change out the usual suspects of consumble parts and repair probs on trail, at campsite or at home in the shed.

after owning my 99 since new i have this down pat now and know and have the exact tools i need.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Pictures are pretty easy, I'll post some up later. There's really not much to see though. The sweetheart got me a black chrome tool set for Christmas in a hard case. The rest are in a small tool bag with the air compressor. I basically just toss both in the back when I head out. They end up on the bottom of the pile.

Reactions: teejay
I carry as much as possible. I also carry a ready welder but need to make sure I have someone with me for nother battery. They work better with 3. Every ujoint is covered and a bearing unit, Yokes and a few other things. Guns. You have to have guns.. Big guns. 120 miles out in bear country isnt place to be skimping.
I was trying to find my bear pic. But cant at the moment. We were camping next to a river that had a high berm and steep bank. So we had to camp on the other side of the berm awy from the river.. Got up the next morning and there were over 20 grizzlys in the river fishing. We about shit our pants

I carry as much as possible. I also carry a ready welder but need to make sure I have someone with me for nother battery. They work better with 3. Every ujoint is covered and a bearing unit, Yokes and a few other things. Guns. You have to have guns.. Big guns. 120 miles out in bear country isnt place to be skimping.
I was trying to find my bear pic. But cant at the moment. We were camping next to a river that had a high berm and steep bank. So we had to camp on the other side of the berm awy from the river.. Got up the next morning and there were over 20 grizzlys in the river fishing. We about shit our pants
One word. Alaska. lol

Seriously though, I haven't needed tools in awhile. It sounds like you do though. How often do you use the stuff you pack along? And what we're you doing that caused you to need to weld something up or change out a u joint? Don't doubt it, considering where you're at. Just curious is all.

Guns...never thought to add that to the list of tools, but yeah, carry those as well. 45 Colt revolver and a big bore rifle. 45x2 1/2" Belted Express. Cause it's just silly to have to shoot something more than twice. No Grizzlies around here, just lazy little black bears.

I have changed 3 ujoints in the last 2 years. One bearing and several other odds and ends. Have used the welder a few times where people have just bolted their track bars and not welded. Seems to be the biggest problem.
Once ujoint inthe front where I was winching my daughter up a bank. It was pulling my jeep to her so lke an idiot i put it in 4 low and locked it up. When it got pressure it shot a cap out like a bullet. One of the dummest mistakes I have made and sure wont do that again.
So I keep a full tool set. As many spare parts as possible and a 460 S&W.

Reactions: StG58
The bearing was on another rig. I used my bearing and he just replaced it but without it we would of had to make a 100 mile trip back to the road and another 40 miles to a parts store. Most of the rest I was running with at the time I don't think even had jumping cables

Reactions: StG58
Interesting... You folks spend a lot of time up to your hubs in water and mud, don't you? Hmmm... The track bar brackets causing issues I can understand though. It's really tough to get a bolted bracket aligned and tight. And keep it that way.

460 S&W? Nice! I've got a Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt for a belt gun. Load 270 grain cast semi-wad cutters at 1300 fps for it. Not a single action army load by any means, but not as hot as it will go. Works for down here.

Something else I invested in was Tire Pliers. Good for breaking a tire to replace valve stems. So easy most children with a little size could use it. May be able to give it up since the invention of the Colby valve. Not 100% sure yet

http://www.stazworks.com/tyrepliers.htm
Good video on it too.

I have 2 460's and I shoot 400-560 grain hardcast. I did take an elk and a few whitetails with it. I keep the heavy bullets just for bear protection.

Water and mud make up more of the area than anything. I honestly hate mud and try to avoid it.

Just wanna say, love the way your operating up there Ted :) waking up to 20 hungry grizzlies, holy fark, man id be clutching my peacemaker tight..

@StG58

here's how i store my basic tools i need in my TJ which stays in there all the time.

i just worked with what i had, an old toolbox which just happens to be the right dimensions

locking the seat back clamps it shut and holds it in place and its level with the rear floor.

i can squeeze a lot of tools in there if i try along with a full metric and imperial 3/8 set.

its under the passenger side seat so if your stuck on the side of road doing a repair you don't have your ass hanging out to traffic while trying to get tools. no noises no rattles and doesn't move. got lucky!

PIC_02633.jpg
PIC_02666.jpg
PIC_02699.jpg
PIC_02711.jpg

Anybody else here do yard sales and such? And grab up all the tools? My wife is a tool hound. I bet she bought 400 lbs of wrenches and sockets this past summer at give away prices. I have 3 full sets, 1 for each rig and a set for the house and still probably have 5 or 6 boxes full. Mainly made in USA Craftsman stuff. These city people don't have a clue what they are for.

Reactions: JP13